Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking the Free-Motion Plunge, But..... >

Taking the Free-Motion Plunge, But.....

Taking the Free-Motion Plunge, But.....

Old 06-24-2014, 05:56 AM

Default Taking the Free-Motion Plunge, But.....

Howdy y'all

OK...I've always followed the FMQ threads on here with much interest, but I've never seen this addressed on here before. I've taken an FM class, I've done some practicing, and I'm ready to attempt my first FM project. I've made a wall hanging for my sewing room and plan to use sewing motifs (spools, pincushions, etc.) in my quilting. I have 4 sandwiches spray basted together to practice on that are approximately 2' X 3' so I can practice going around corners as I'm quilting. If I mess up on my own quilt, I'll have it hanging on my wall to see how far I've come instead of giving it to someone else!

My problem is that it just feels so awkward to me to go side to side instead of front to back like you do in "regular" sewing. I mentioned that in the class I took, and the teacher said that there were no set rules...if it's easier for me to feed the fabric front to back then that was fine. I actually did better in the class when I did the motifs she supplied by going front to back like I'm used to.

But for one thing, I want to learn to do this the RIGHT way. For another, all the tutorials you see online for different motifs use the side-to-side method for teaching. Since I'm just learning, it's hard enough for a beginner to learn to do it their way, much less trying to learn to do it in a different direction than the teacher.

So has anyone else had this problem? Please someone tell me I'm not the only one who finds the right way to do it "unnatural"! LOL! Does anyone have any tips for getting my brain wrapped around going sideways on a DSM? As always, I'm really looking forward to your answers!

Donna
Old 06-24-2014, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I like working in all directions but one. Try to always work side to side or towards yourself. If you try to work backwards, you cannot see where you are going and if you are quilting over the stitching. If you can only quilt going forward for now, then get good at that. Try to add side to side quilting as you advanced because this allows you to quilt whole sections without having to turn the quilt. It is easy to turn the quilt on a small sandwich if you can only quilt in one direction but if you get a whole quilt in the harp, you won't get able to turn it easily.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

One way to get your (mind) wrapped around going in different directions is to simply sit down with a pencil and paper and "doodle". Draw your motifs get your mind and hand in cync wish each other --when you draw you do not just go in one direction--once you have your mind" relaxed " you will be able to enjoy the process of stitching in all directions.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Keep in mind ... there are so many variations on the "right way" ... and don't let one person's right, discourage you.

One of the joys of FMQing is that you are not moving the quilt as much. Consider, how you quilt with a traditional set up ... you stitch along, come to a corner, and then have to re-position the quilt. Another corner or angle ... move it again. If doing a design in a 12" block that could mean a lot of re-positioning to get it done. Whereas for a FMQ'd design on that same block, you just keep quilting. And if that 12" block is only one of many in a quilt ............ oh my how, tiring it would be.

Once you get thinking about this, you will see why it is helpful to learn to FMQ in all directions. As oft has been said, it's all about practice, practice, practice!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:45 AM

There is no right way. I'm with you in that moving the quilt vertically along the machine bed is much easier for me than moving it horizontally. Sometimes you can't avoid having to move the quilt east/west, but it does get easier over time, despite the fact that it still feels unnatural to guide the quilt in a north/south direction.

Good luck with your practice sandwiches!
Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 AM

Donna: I complete understand your point of view. When you just do regular sewing or piecing you are going 'forward', so it's not natural to go side to side. Once you have practiced a lot, it will seem more natural. I still tend to FMQ 'forward' when I can!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 AM

I think the more you practice, the more comfortable you will become with moving the quilt and trying from different angles.

Cheers, K
Old 06-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

There are no rules, but remember that on a larger quilt you won't have the ability to turn it as you stitch, so it's a good idea to start learning to move in all directions from the start. It does seem awkward but it will get better with practice.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:58 AM

I'm of the "whatever feels good" group, but I agree that it is better for you to learn to move your fabric from side to side as well as forward. Doodling is a good exercise, but holding a pencil with one hand is a lot different than moving fabric with both hands. One exercise I do is to just make a sandwich, then sit at my machine and move it around. This will help build muscle memory for when you begin stitching. Also, a tip from Harriet Hargraves is to warm up on a practice sandwich for 15 to 20 minutes before you start on your project to warm up your muscles.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 AM

I'm also going to say to practice going in all directions including backwards and sideways and diagonally. It makes it so much easier when you're working on a large project. Although I am guilty of flipping my quilts around while the needle is down! It's great that you're getting comfortable with FMQ. Congrats!