Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a "Best" Seam Ripper?

Question Is there a "Best" Seam Ripper?

I know there are lots of bells and whistles like ergonomic handles, lights, etc., but I'm asking about the business end of a seam ripper. Sharp enough to work well without destroying fabric in the process and one that will last a while. I didn't care much about this until I started taking apart clothing items Bonnie Hunter style for some scrappy quilts. We talk a lot about other favorite tools but I want to know if any of you have found a real winner that you will keep and use for a long time?

I recently bought a spare Clover one, and there's a huge difference in it v. the older one I have. The Clover has a thinner end, which gets under the shorter stitch lengths WAY better than my old one, which was thicker.

I like the Clover. It's nothing fancy...just a brown plastic handle...if I were to suggest an improvement to the designers, it would be to put a rubbery handle grip on it...like they have on some pens & pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenLunaStitch View Post
    I know there are lots of bells and whistles like ergonomic handles, lights, etc., but I'm asking about the business end of a seam ripper. Sharp enough to work well without destroying fabric in the process and one that will last a while. I didn't care much about this until I started taking apart clothing items Bonnie Hunter style for some scrappy quilts. We talk a lot about other favorite tools but I want to know if any of you have found a real winner that you will keep and use for a long time?
    My favorite and best that I have are the ones that come with brother machines I think you can buy them from brother they are the sharpest I have ever used and very small so can get under the tiniest stitches
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D

Blog Entries
    I have a battery operated one I got at the LQS....love, love,love it!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I'm still using the aqua handled one mother bought me for home-ec classes...1965-69
    It is thicker compared to today's model, which I have two of. Treat yourself, good tools are important.

I like the Clover ones, too. To me, that's one of the most important tools (unfortunately, lol) in our arsenal, so, I don't scrimp when it comes to seam rippers.
    aka Gale

There is one (I can't remember the name) that has a surgical like blade that is curved.

Has anyone used the Gingher one? I saw it at Joanns and wondered if it was worth the $. Obviously, the "best" seam ripper is the one you never have to use! lol Thanks all for your opinions!

Blog Entries
    My favorite is small, blue and round. I think it's this Dritz one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-3-1-Inch...dp/B000Y3ESWE/

The ripper portion is fine enough to get under very small stitches, and it feels good in my hand.

There is a new one on the market that has a rubberized end for getting rid of the cut stitches. Have seen very positive reviews about it. Don't have a link, but maybe someone else will post one.

I have a battery operated one love it I also have a hand one I love it has tweezers at one end and slide it for the seam ripper it has a small point . it is combicut seam ripper I ordered 5 of them just to have ( I got my original one at Hancock but the don't sell it any more . Just goggle " combicut seam ripper" to see it

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast