Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There I said it! >

There I said it!

There I said it!

Old 08-23-2016, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

I know what you girls mean! I have an extention cord I plug mine into that the plug is visable from anywhere in the room. I unplug it even though it has the automatic shut off. Rowenta mercedes fashion model. When I have to iron my clothing it has serious steam!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I have an Oliso with auto shut off and it's fine. I used to have a steam generator and left it on all night once. After that, I put the steam generator on a power strip with the light I have by the ironing board and used the switch on the light to turn it on and off. That way if I saw the light on, I knew that I had left the iron on. It's so much a habit that I still have that set up even though with the Oliso there isn't a need.
I do the same thing! My husband kinda freaked out when I got the Oliso. He could not wrap his head around having it with its plate flat. I have him used to looking for that lamp. When the lamp is out, the iron is off (even tho its probably been off a LONG time with the auto shut off!)
Old 08-23-2016, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
I do the same thing! My husband kinda freaked out when I got the Oliso. He could not wrap his head around having it with its plate flat. I have him used to looking for that lamp. When the lamp is out, the iron is off (even tho its probably been off a LONG time with the auto shut off!)
Good idea. Worth the extra step to help ensure nothing bad happens.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:57 PM

No idea why, but I have always unplugged my iron after each use. Guess it comes from having pets that have/might knocked the iron off my ironing surface?? Unless I am actively ironing, I always unplug. Or if I leave the room for more than 5 minutes. Just habit with me. Plus I iron clothes frequently - in a different location than quilting - and same principle applies.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:07 PM

I hated my iron(s--went thru a couple) that shut off after 8 minutes. But I found a cheap Sunbeam at Walmart that turns off after 45 minutes. It cost under $25 and has never seen water (I use a spray bottle when necessary). Love the thing. I like the idea of a plug that turns on with your light but that would mean re-wiring my sewing room and that is so not going to happen!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 PM

We have a floor lamp and the iron plugged into the same power strip, and use the switch on the power strip to turn them on and off. I got the idea from the smart folks on this board!
Old 08-24-2016, 02:20 AM

I have done the exact same thing. That way I know that if the "special iron light" is off, so is the iron itself. This is the method I have used for at least 10 years and it has never failed me. That way I can leave the house knowing all is well with my iron.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:59 AM

May I suggest completely unplugging your irons when not in use? The reason: I had an iron a couple of years ago that was turned off, but was still plugged in. I hadn't used it in a few days.

The next time I picked it up, I was horrified that it was VERY WARM! Apparently the switch/dial had malfunctioned. Thankfully it wasn't so hot that it could've burned anything, and thankfully I'd set it in a place where it wasn't touching anything else. The dial was definitely turned all the way off. DH was in the same room when I noticed it, and he looked at the dial, too. Yep, definitely OFF. Very scary. It could have easily been much, much worse.

Anything can malfunction. Unplug 'em to be sure!
Old 08-24-2016, 04:42 AM

First things I do when I go in my craft room is turn on the tv and my "No auto off" iron. Craft craft craft...don't for the night, turn off tv and go to bed...oops, forgot the iron. So I've taped to my tv remote a piece of paper. It doesn't say anything, but I remember to unplug the iron. Whatever works I guess...
Old 08-24-2016, 05:25 AM

I also have always had my iron plugged into a strip with a lamp & one of the machines. I have a auto shut but I like the idea of turning on the strip & everything is ready to go. When I'm done then turn the strip off & everything is off