Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There I said it! >

There I said it!

There I said it!

Old 08-25-2016, 07:49 AM

I would not buy an iron without it and I unplug my iron when I am done. I lived in a neighborhood where a house all but burned down due to an iron left on.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
I would not buy an iron without it and I unplug my iron when I am done. I lived in a neighborhood where a house all but burned down due to an iron left on.
So sad...yes it can be scary.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
This must be the week for it! I discovered I left my Rowenta steam generator iron on for five days! It is too big to leave in my normal iron spot, so it sits on a counter with the cord through a hole in the counter. I was mortified when I found it! My fridge had died, so I hadn't had time to sew at all with between the coolers and shopping for a new one.
I will definately change that habit! My old location was easy to see the power strip, and to unplug!
Things happen...you just don't want the consequences to be tragic...
Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

You can buy a timer to plug in for under $10. It turns off the power to electrical items off or on the time you set. When I go to my sewing room I set the time for the iron to stay on for 2 hours. The timers can be set for minutes or hours. If I do forget to turn off the iron it will turn off with the timer.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq View Post
I had an Olisio iron and loved it but the problem with it was I got so used to the lift feature that when using any other iron I'd forget it wasn't an Olisio and I'd scorch the ironing board pad.
Me too. Still have the Oliso and funny how it took a bit to break the habit of standing it up, now when I use my old iron I've moved to the RV, I have to remember to stand it up, and have scorched my ironing surface too!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

I have my iron and a light plugged into a plug strip. When I am done using the iron I turn off the plug strip. If the light is off then the iron is too.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:44 PM

My iron is an auto shut-off and it will turn itself off while I am sewing and then I have to wait while the iron warms up but it never takes long. Instead of getting upset about the wait I look upon it as an opportunity to walk around and get in some steps before I sit down again. I really need the exercise because I spend too much time knitting and sewing.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:34 PM

I grew up in a house that had an iron with no shut off and the cover of the ironing board had these iron shaped scorch marks from grandmother and mother leaving it plugged in face down. My sewing machine, standing lights, coffee makers and computers are all plugged into power strips -- I unplug the power strips when I am done using them so I don't wear out the appliance plugs.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:55 PM

I once left my iron on while I went on vacation. Fortunately nothing bad happened but I could have come home to a pile of ashes. Since then DH insists I get auto turnoff. Peace of mind for both of us.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:52 PM

I have a night pluged into strip and iron so if night light is on I know iron is on I like a light weight proctor silex iron steams good.