Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There I said it! >

There I said it!

There I said it!

Old 08-24-2016, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
No idea why, but I have always unplugged my iron after each use. Guess it comes from having pets that have/might knocked the iron off my ironing surface?? Unless I am actively ironing, I always unplug. Or if I leave the room for more than 5 minutes. Just habit with me. Plus I iron clothes frequently - in a different location than quilting - and same principle applies.
Yep, this is me too...unplug my sewing machine when not in use, as well as other items like fans, toasters, heaters, the iron etc. For the possibility of fires it may cause, but also protection from power surges or lightning. (My brother's house was zapped and he lost a lot of his electronics....and growing up we had a house fire, so I've seen both of these destructive events and am a little compulsive about it).
Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by tlpa View Post
Yep, this is me too...unplug my sewing machine when not in use, as well as other items like fans, toasters, heaters, the iron etc. For the possibility of fires it may cause, but also protection from power surges or lightning. (My brother's house was zapped and he lost a lot of his electronics....and growing up we had a house fire, so I've seen both of these destructive events and am a little compulsive about it).
Sounds wise to me*********
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I hated my iron(s--went thru a couple) that shut off after 8 minutes. But I found a cheap Sunbeam at Walmart that turns off after 45 minutes. It cost under $25 and has never seen water (I use a spray bottle when necessary). Love the thing. I like the idea of a plug that turns on with your light but that would mean re-wiring my sewing room and that is so not going to happen!
I also bought my Sunbeam at Walmart. Mine is blue and white, and has an orange light lit when it is on. I just look for the orange light on the iron, or the red light in the safety strip, to be sure it is unplugged before I leave the room. Years ago I lost a kitty to playing with an iron cord that was plugged in, but turned off. She evidently bit into it. Never leave a cord plugged in, you could lose a friend if you do.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I like the idea of a plug that turns on with your light but that would mean re-wiring my sewing room and that is so not going to happen!
It can happen easily. Get a power strip with an on and off switch. Plug your iron and a light into it. The light can be above your ironing board. (That's were mine is; I always need an extra light right above my ironing surface. It's a goose-neck that is mounted onto the wall.) Then you will always know when the iron is plugged in; the light will be on.

Did you know that an iron with auto shut-off is never really off? Feel the handle when you come to use it. If the handle is warm, it has been using electricity since the last time you thought you shut it off. Those little lights use electricity, too. If you have it plugged into a strip and turn the strip off, then it is off.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:00 AM

I had an Olisio iron and loved it but the problem with it was I got so used to the lift feature that when using any other iron I'd forget it wasn't an Olisio and I'd scorch the ironing board pad.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:40 PM

I agree with you about the auto shut off. I won't buy an iron without it. I always worry that I will forget to turn it off. My sewing room is upstairs and sometimes I don't get up there for days. Sometimes no one goes upstairs for days. I would worry about burning the house down. I installed a smoke alarm in there also. Once the iron is heated up it reheats very quickly. I usually turn it back on before I cut my chained pieces apart.
Safety first!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM

I do forget it - all the time - and don't really want an iron screaming hot for hours on end if it doesn't need to be. Heats up quick enough for me.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
I do forget it - all the time - and don't really want an iron screaming hot for hours on end if it doesn't need to be. Heats up quick enough for me.
My iron is just a cheapie and has the auto shut off. I feel like you do, it heats up fast enough for me.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:14 AM

This must be the week for it! I discovered I left my Rowenta steam generator iron on for five days! It is too big to leave in my normal iron spot, so it sits on a counter with the cord through a hole in the counter. I was mortified when I found it! My fridge had died, so I hadn't had time to sew at all with between the coolers and shopping for a new one.
I will definately change that habit! My old location was easy to see the power strip, and to unplug!
Old 08-25-2016, 05:01 AM

I am also an unplugger. Sometimes I plug and unplug my iron several times during a quilting session. I don't mind waiting a couple of minutes while my iron heats up.