Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there such a thing as a "thumb protector" >

Is there such a thing as a "thumb protector"

Is there such a thing as a "thumb protector"

Old 09-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Default Is there such a thing as a "thumb protector"

I've just started quilting a QS using Clover black gold needles Quilting #10 and my right thumb started getting sore and then it started bleeding. Any ideas of what I can do to protect that thumb. It's the thumb that pulls the needle through. Seems harder to pull when I'm quilting through the seam allowances that have been pressed to one side. The needle itself is SMALL and SHARP on the sides a well as the point. HELP!
Old 09-19-2013, 03:36 PM

Could you use one of those leather thimble (not sure what they are called) things on your thumb? Might be awkward, though.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM

They have a needle puller but I fiind them a little awkward. There are also little adhesive dots made out of mole skin that does help a lot. What works for me is liquid skin especially helpful until you develop a callous
Old 09-19-2013, 03:53 PM

I have used the fat elastic band that you will find holding a bunch of fresh broccoli together, to pull the needle through. I just quickly fold it around the portion of the needle that sticks out, then pull. It really grabs on to the needle. It' s bulkiness makes it easy to quickly pick up if you keep it right near your top hand.....right there on the quilt.

Another item that helps is what I believe are called "finger cots". You can find them in the first aide section of the pharmacy. I use one on my first finger to help grab the needle on regular stitches but use the fat elastic when trying to pull the needle through a seam.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM

I have used round rubber things to pull the needle with. It grips - kind of like rubber things to open jars with. Don't know the name, but they work great. They are about the size of a quarter and are thin but do grip well and easy to use. They are marketed with quilting supplies. I always use them when hand quilting, although I haven't done that in a while.
Pat
Old 09-19-2013, 04:20 PM

I use the rubber thimbles that are sold at the office supply store. It is what the bookkeepers used to sort through pages and stuff. They are flexible, available in different sizes and have ridges so provide extra 'traction' to hold onto the needle as you pull it through. BTW - I press my seams open so that I don't have extra layers to quilt through.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 PM

I use a combination of the fingertips typically used to count paper money - buy them in the office store about 12/box and I also use a pair of needle nosed pliers. Pliers don't damage the needle and are particularly helpful for those difficult to pull situations.

Just saw jrhboxers reply. Same thing. I, too, press open for the same reasons, plus my blocks lay flatter.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I use a combination of the fingertips typically used to count paper money - buy them in the office store about 12/box and I also use a pair of needle nosed pliers. Pliers don't damage the needle and are particularly helpful for those difficult to pull situations.

Just saw jrhboxers reply. Same thing. I, too, press open for the same reasons, plus my blocks lay flatter.
Do you hand piece or machine piece. I was always told that hand pieced should be pressed to the side because had pieced isn't as strong as machine pieced.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:03 PM

I really like the ThimblePad. They are small leather/suede adhesive discs. They are reusable, and work great as a thimble and also help with gripping needles for pulling. I also like the GripIt thingies. They are small rubbery adhesive discs. They are real thin so you can still feel what you are doing. These do not work as thimbles, but are rubbery enough that they really help with gripping needles for pulling.

I like the adhesive dots because I don't have to stop to pick something up each time. And they are just the right size to cover the spot you habitually use every time.

There are a couple products I would not recommend.
There are some that are a red plastic dot, they come in a metal tin. I feel these are too thick, I keep bumping them. the lady at the quilt shop said they were wonderful..
And
There are clearish plastic ovals that are supposed to be thimbles. I do not care for these either. They are larger that the other dots and stiffer so the edges stick up and snag my thread. And, the surface is smooth enough that the needle doesn't have anywhere to sit when you push. Can you say accident waiting to happen? These do not help in gripping a needle to pull.

Not connected to any of these products...other than the money I have spent on them.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 PM

I had this problem last year and found small pairs of pliers and used them as I could only use one hand. Any other time I push from the back with anything, usually inside of my nail. One problem could be you are travelling through too much fabric in one go.