Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ? >

Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ?

Is there a thread about unloved, fed up with, unfinished quilts ?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:59 PM

I love Jan in Va's reply!
But I also know that our local Project Linus group loves these types of things and orphan blocks. Some of the ladies are so talented and can do amazing things with the most hideous of blocks & rejected donations. I've seen many that I didn't think had a prayer but came out looking adorable and I know a sick child would just love one of those! It's amazing how something like that can brighten their day! I'd look them up and donate them to PL if it was me.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I like the round robin idea--and I would say the last person to get it who could make a twin size out of it would be encouraged to donate it to a local homeless shelter. From what I've heard, "ugly" quilts are not likely to be stolen on the streets or by employees, hence a good destination for the quilts and blocks that are hodgepodged together.
Sorry but this logic eludes me. I think someone in a shelter or on the street or whatever program I donate too would not only like to be warm but feel valued as a person too. If staff and employees are stealing quilts that is a different problem that needs to be addressed.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Last year some of the QB members participated in 2 swaps, sort of a "One Quilter's Trash is Another's Treasure". We packed a medium box with scraps, YFO's, uglies, orphan blocks, etc., and swapped them for someone else's stuff. It was my favorite swap ever, and had an amazing result. I work at a Free Clinic, and we were moving into a new building at the time. Our director mentioned that our mission was like quilters who took unwanted, torn, hurt fabrics and helped them heal and patched them up into beautiful, warm and useful family heirlooms. So I went to those swap boxes and found some 4 patches in them. I started sewing scrap to scrap, and soon had a beautiful 84" by 84" quilt, and even the batting was scraps sewn together. I gave it to the clinic, thinking it could be raffled for fundraising. Instead it was hung in our new conference room and featured in our grand opening press release!
So go ahead and give up on UFO's and projects you dislike. Pass them on and someone else will possibly see in them an answer. Or just forget your original vision and try another direction.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I have a few that I didn't like and didn't finish. What I did was chop them up and used them in scrappy string quilts, and liked the result and liked that I didn't waste the fabric.
That is a great idea!!!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:09 PM

Macra, life is too short to keep messing around on something you hate! Get rid of it somehow. (I do find it therapeutic cutting them up for string quilts....just a feeling of a little revenge in destroying it is good...). And the sooner the better!! Move on to a project that makes you happy!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:13 AM

don't forget, no matter how "UGLY" - the cats and dogs at a shelter will love it.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:10 AM

I have tried to post photos but all I can see is [img] when I try to post my links.
I have looked for a faq on how to post photos on the forum (even checked the pictures bit) and I'm totally at a loss.

Is there a quick 'How to post Photos' link somewhere ?

Mary
Old 09-07-2014, 04:31 AM

I have taken blocks that I didn't care for and used them on the side of bags or for placemats or mugrugs, Sometimes they look better in a different setting. If you really can't stand them and don't want to ever see them again give them to a thrift store or take them to a quilt guild meeting and offer them for free. Someone will grab them and find a use for them. Or cut them up in smaller sections and use them in a crazy quilt, or make potholders. There is a use for nearly every block.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
And can I say something about the popular theme of just finish it and give it to charity? Personally if I hate it I can't finish it I have 2 partial tops set aside to prove that point. My other problem is if I think it's awful I don't want to give it to charity if I wouldn't give it to a friend I wouldn't give it to anyone. Sometimes those programs are thought of dumping grounds for cast off uglies or careless craftsmanship and that makes me sad.

I do like the idea of someone more creative than I am taking my ugly stuff and making it something of value though.
I represent a charity, as in we have our own charitable organization here in Poland. Please be assured that sometimes what you think is ugly isn't ugly at all--and truly "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Honestly and truly.

Unless the issue is craftsmanship--as in just awful, there is a place for every project. I have been given double knit tops--things I thought were HORRIBLE, but I finished them and they've been chosen by the recipients as THE quilt that they wanted! It made the recipient happy, and it made me happy, that such an "ugly thing" found a home--and a home that appreciated it.

So, I respectfully disagree with you, Billi--I have been the recipient of some uglies but truly--they can be finished and made into something warm for people who are cold.

One other thing--I made a QAYG out of orphan blocks--things--and it was chosen right away as one someone wanted!!! (When I give away quilts, I let the recipient come and choose from what I have available, so it is something that they want--not just what they are handed.)

If the quilt is really ugly, you really can cut it up and use it as crumb blocks, but I believe I have made several "saves" with some blocks that I didn't really consider good workmanship.

So, I would encourage you NOT to throw them away. Americans have such a wasteful mentality that it hurts anymore when I hear that you just "throw it away". If you live somewhere else for a while (as in a poor country) where there isn't quite as much plenty, you become much more aware of this waste and excess.

I would encourage you to channel your unloved projects to a group who will finish them and find a home for them.

Last edited by justflyingin; 09-07-2014 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I represent a charity, as in we have our own charitable organization here in Poland. Please be assured that sometimes what you think is ugly isn't ugly at all--and truly "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Honestly and truly.

Unless the issue is craftsmanship--as in just awful, there is a place for every project. I have been given double knit tops--things I thought were HORRIBLE, but I finished them and they've been chosen by the recipients as THE quilt that they wanted! It made the recipient happy, and it made me happy, that such an "ugly thing" found a home--and a home that appreciated it.

So, I respectfully disagree with you, Billi--I have been the recipient of some uglies but truly--they can be finished and made into something warm for people who are cold.

One other thing--I made a QAYG out of orphan blocks--things--and it was chosen right away as one someone wanted!!! (When I give away quilts, I let the recipient come and choose from what I have available, so it is something that they want--not just what they are handed.)

If the quilt is really ugly, you really can cut it up and use it as crumb blocks, but I believe I have made several "saves" with some blocks that I didn't really consider good workmanship.

So, I would encourage you NOT to throw them away. Americans have such a wasteful mentality that it hurts anymore when I hear that you just "throw it away". If you live somewhere else for a while (as in a poor country) where there isn't quite as much plenty, you become much more aware of this waste and excess.

I would encourage you to channel your unloved projects to a group who will finish them and find a home for them.
Im glad your "uglies" found a loved home and your experience with them is a positive one maybe mine are just uglier than most :-). None of them are as pretty as Marca's butterflies.

I agree with not throwing them away I like the concept of looking at them as a piece of fabric to be cut reworked and used in different projects.

Whats that saying "no fabric is ugly it's just not cut small enough" maybe I should apply that to my unfinished tops that I hate.