Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread clippings

From Baltimore, currently live in Charlotte, NC
    Love those ideas ... thread, dog hair, and dryer lint. Who'd a-thunk it?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I think I once saw a TV spot about a lady who used dryer lint for paper mache!

I love the dryer lint idea. . . heaven knows we have enough of it!

My mother used to do that with yarn. I loved knowing that the birds had a soft nest.

Our squirrels love them too. Also leftover pieces of batting. I cut it into strips and put them in a basket this time of the year for nest building. I would recommend cotton though.

Great idea!! I love it! I might start doing that. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    Just make sure your clippings aren't long enough for birdies to get tangled around their wings or legs! :)
    I am a vet tech at a wildlife facility and we've seen some songbirds who have been entangled in the past. Cute idea for colorful nesties though!!
    :)
    I heard many years ago that fabrics were not good for birds nests because it stays damp too long after a rain, causing the young birds to get sick (pneumonia???). Things like straw and grasses do not absorb water the way fabric does. Have not been able to corroborate this in recent years. Do you have any idea if this is true? As I recall, it was an ornithologist who posted the warning about putting out fabric scraps for birds, but I could be wrong about that.

Wow that is an awesome idea! I am going to do that for sure!!!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    Just make sure your clippings aren't long enough for birdies to get tangled around their wings or legs! :)
    I am a vet tech at a wildlife facility and we've seen some songbirds who have been entangled in the past. Cute idea for colorful nesties though!!
    :)
    I heard many years ago that fabrics were not good for birds nests because it stays damp too long after a rain, causing the young birds to get sick (pneumonia???). Things like straw and grasses do not absorb water the way fabric does. Have not been able to corroborate this in recent years. Do you have any idea if this is true? As I recall, it was an ornithologist who posted the warning about putting out fabric scraps for birds, but I could be wrong about that.
    That is a really good thought. Young hatchlings can be very sensitive to things like that. Fortunately, I have an Ornithology lab that is right down the street from my workplace...I will contact them and ask them thier thoughts on this!

I do this with the hair from my pyr. Oh my how they shed! Dh gets annoyed as I brush him in the yard and just leave it for the birds.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast