Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread clippings

I recycle my threads. Instead of throwing them away I keep them and put them outside for birdies. I just used a bright green and tossed abunch outside. I'll be seeing it in birds nest pretty soon. Last year I had some bright orange and seen in 2 nests. Birdies love thread

Great idea. I would be afraid my cats and dogs would eat them, though. Maybe if I toss them into the trees.

I chop up my left over cotton fabric and put it out. Makes colorful nests and is biodegradable.

That is such a good idea....I never would have thought of that. I think I am going to start. Heaven knows I always have tons of thread and fabric clippings!

What a great idea and to think you see the results of it!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Just make sure your clippings aren't long enough for birdies to get tangled around their wings or legs! :)
    I am a vet tech at a wildlife facility and we've seen some songbirds who have been entangled in the past. Cute idea for colorful nesties though!!
    :)

I put little bits (like teeny) of cotton batting in our lilac trees last Spring, and the blue tits and great tits went mad for it. I pulled it apart a bit for them so's they could see how good it was!! I also put the combings from my Yorkies on the same twigs, and they love to collect that as well.
    The birds are very cheeky though, I've seen them tugging at threads on towels on the line too.

That is what I do with dryer lint. I save it in a bag at dryer, in spring, I place it out on ground in yard. It is fun to watch the birds picking it over to get soft nesting. Even the sqirrells have taken some.

Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    Just make sure your clippings aren't long enough for birdies to get tangled around their wings or legs! :)
    I am a vet tech at a wildlife facility and we've seen some songbirds who have been entangled in the past. Cute idea for colorful nesties though!!
    :)
    More great ideas. Thanks. I did forget to mention I chop
    them up before putting it out for them. Thanks for that tip.
    Wouldn't want to hurt the little ones. You have an awesome
    job. :thumbup:

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    I haven't put any thread out... but I have used scrap trimmings (selvedges, etc) to wrap around the canes of my blackberry bushes to keep the rodents from chewing the bark off during the winter.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast