Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread, what kind and why? >

thread, what kind and why?

thread, what kind and why?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:31 AM

Thanks everyone. I will use what I have already bought then.appreciate your help.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:49 AM

Between my mothers house and mine there is a large pile of quilts made all different ways. I don't see any problem with polyester thread since some of the older quilts were used hard, washed often and there is no problem with the threads or fabric cutting.

My mother just requested that i make her 2 quilts for one of the kids rooms, she has 7 kids under her roof (not including the adult child living in the basement "man cave") When i asked her how she wanted them backed and quilted she specifically said to just use regular thread in a neutral color. To us, regular thread is the polyester general purpose stuff.

These aren't meant to be heirloom quilts, if that was the case i would probably go with something nicer just because of a larger selection of colors. I would probably also want to hand quilt but my skills aren't that good yet.

I am going to guess about this but if there was a problem with various threads, then how can a quilt be made with the clear mono-filament type stuff ??? It's like very fine fishing line that you would think could eventually saw through the whole quilt.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:58 AM

I don't worry about thread. My quilts are to be used and if they wear out, they wear out. I have never understood the concept of Heirloom quilts. To me that means that they are shelved and saved. If they aren't used, they have no memories and if they have no memoris, they are meaningless. So use your thread, love your quilts and be happy.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I don't worry about thread. My quilts are to be used and if they wear out, they wear out. I have never understood the concept of Heirloom quilts. To me that means that they are shelved and saved. If they aren't used, they have no memories and if they have no memoris, they are meaningless. So use your thread, love your quilts and be happy.
I agree! I'm grateful my family has a "use 'em up" attitude towards quilts - I have so many fond memories of the quilts my grandmothers made for me (often involving making forts out of them, and/or running around in the yard with one over my shoulders as a cape) and I wouldn't have any of those memories if those quilts were "heirlooms". I don't have most of those quilts anymore since I wore them out, but I will have those memories forever and that's a lot more valuable to me. If those quilts had just lived on a shelf I might still have them but I wouldn't care about them nearly as much.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:46 AM

A lot boils down to personal preference.

I prefer cotton, so that is what I buy. I prefer to match fiber with fiber - I quilt cotton cloth, so I use cotton thread.

In one class I took, we worked with polyester threads. While the claim is that they are smooth, I can feel roughness on that very fine thread (prewound bobbins). It was not a case of slubs like you can find on poor quality thread - but like little barbs along the thread. Probably did not help that I had very dry fingers at the time.

Harriet Hargrave is emphatic about using cotton.

The polyester thread makers are equally emphatic about polyester.

Do avoid threads marketed for sergers as those are not intended to be as strong as 4 or 5 threads are used together. Rayon for embroider won't hold up as well either.

My favorite for piecing is 60/3 by Presencia. It is a very fine/very strong thread.

Cheers, K
Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 AM

I love these dicussions about thread. I always learn something new.

I started quilting a couple of years ago and I decided that I wanted to use cotton thead for my piecing and machine quilting and I buy most of my cotton thread from Connecting Threads because the price can't be beat. Lots of folks on the board think it's very linty. I keep my nylon cleaning brush handy and keep my eyes open for fluffs of lint in the bobbin area when I'm working with that thread.

I love that someone noted the difference in thread made for a serger.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post

iwill never ever use mettler threads again. ever.

aileen
Why? (If you wouldn't mind elaborating, that is.)

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 AM

Check out the Superior Threads website -- they have all kinds of education on what threads to use when, along with the needles to use with the thread you choose.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
I thought polyester threads cuts into your material over time, that we shouldn't use it? Is this a myth?
Actually, I think there might have been some truth to this in the distant past when polyester threads and poly-covered cotton threads first came on the market. Anyone familiar with polyester knits? They must be made with indestructible polyester thread, as they never show wear.

Polyester sewing threads are made today to have the same tensile strength as cotton threads, so it's not a problem. You can test poly and cotton threads by snapping between your hands; you will likely find they snap at about the same pressure. It's not the same kind of polyester thread used in polyester knits!

Edit: I will mention that I have found that I don't get as nice a seam in cotton when I use polyester thread, even when it's a thin thread. That's why I prefer to piece my quilts with cotton. I think the advice to match thread content to fabric content is great! I love polyester thread for quilting, though -- especially the hint of shine that Glide thread gives to my quilting. Brightens up my quilts without being obvious.

Last edited by Prism99; 04-17-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I get what's on sale. Right now I am working through a large batch of Connecting Threads cotton which is a bit linty but I still like it. Then I will work through my large stash of Polyester cones. Can't remember the brand.

My take is: If the machine likes it and you like the look and feel, then use what you have. If the price was right on your threads, why return them?

The ONLY thread my machine refuses is Coats and Clark Dual Duty.