Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tieing Off Back Threads

Tieing Off Back Threads

Hi: I'm a new quilter and don't have the foggiest idea how to tie off the many threads on the back of my quilt as I quilt it. I have many starts and stops, so there are many threads to deal with. Thanks.

I don't tie mine off. I just do a few very small stitches at beginning and end. I bring the bobbin thread up and go from there.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    When I start my quilting, I bring the bobbin thread up. When I finish a line of quilting, I leave about 3 inches of tail. Then I just use a needle and pull the threads thru the middle of the quilt.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

If you machine doesn't automatically tie off and cut you can either stop the movement (like with a featherweight) and stitch in place and cut all the extra strings later, or you can back stitch a couple of stitches and forward to the end of that stitch line and stop and cut later by going over the entire quilt back.

there are so many thoughts about securing the threads. Since you have the threads hanging loose now and can't go back to stitch in place or whatever system is suggested - you should pull the back threads to the front or front to back, tie a knot and use a needle to thread them and pull them into the sandwich of your quilt. This is the long time way, but at least they are secure.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Power Poster
    ​Are you hand or machine quilting? In hand quilting you can do a quilter's knot and pop it into the sandwich when starting or ending a line of quilting. In machine quilting, I tie my thread end together and use a easy thread needle to bury them in the sandwich.

Tartan: that's what I do too. I make a game out of it, especially if I'm doing straight line quilting. I do a couple of rows, then do the tying off of the rows that I've done. I stand up while I do it so it keeps me from sitting in the same position all the time.

I used to just trim (oops) but now I bring my bobbin thread up before I quilt and take about 8 very small stiches before increasing the stitch size. I do the same a the end of a row or when I need to "break thread". I just heard that term for the first time and I think it's so cute.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    When I start my quilting, I bring the bobbin thread up. When I finish a line of quilting, I leave about 3 inches of tail. Then I just use a needle and pull the threads thru the middle of the quilt.
    That's what I do also. I use a cheater needle (those needles with an opening in the top that you push the thread through instead of threading). I do hand knot the threads before pulling them into the batting.

the threads should be on the top- both the top & bobbin thread- bring the bobbin thread to the top before starting to stitch (needle down- holding top thread- needle up---brings bobbin thread up- hold both threads and take a few stitches- you can either make a few tiny (in place) stitches *locking stitch* then clip the threads at the quilt surface- or you can tie the two threads together- thread onto a needle and then push the needle into the quilt sandwich- weaving it into the batting a little ways- popping the knot into the batting- bring the needle back out & clip at the surface.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy
    Colleen's custom quilting; longarm services and custom quilt commissions.