Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips for straight line stitching? >

Tips for straight line stitching?

Tips for straight line stitching?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:18 PM

Default Tips for straight line stitching?

I seem to have trouble with straight line stitching. My question is how do you manage straight line stitching? do you use rulers? Do you mark and then stitch? And, How about cross hatching? How do you make that straight line crosswise straight? Guides? I can be going along just fine and then boooooomm. Jerks to the right. Get back on the line and booom jerks to the left. Any solutions?
Old 01-13-2015, 05:29 PM

Are you talking about sewing or quilting?
Old 01-13-2015, 05:33 PM

I use a ruler and mark my quilts. Most quilters use a walking foot to keep the quilt from jerking. I don't have one. When I cross hatch I mark using a ruler and start in the middle working my way out to each side. This is the method that I came up with on my own. I will be interested in seeing the answers from other quilters. Happy Quilting!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:34 PM

I use a serpentine stitch so that my lines aren't so obvious when they aren't straight
Old 01-13-2015, 05:57 PM

Use blue painters tape to mark lines
Old 01-13-2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Are you talking about sewing or quilting?

I generally make a staright stitch when sewing but when I'm quilting is when I have a problem.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:11 PM

I use a ruler on my sitdown HQ16.....On my domestic, it was easier to do straight lines and I used painters tape to help with the line.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

If I am straight line stitching on my sewing machine I use my walking foot. If I am FMQing straight lines, I use a thick ruler like they use for long arm quilting. Check out Amy's site for working with a ruler on a domestic sewing machine. Her site is www.freemotionquiltingadventures.blogspot.com/
Old 01-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

Aside from using blue painter's tape for marking, and a walking foot (helps a *lot*!), I heavily starch both backing and top before layering. Starch stabilizes the layers so they are much less likely to stretch and distort as you machine quilt. In my case, at least, heavy starching is imperative if I want to do cross-hatching; without it, I would get tucks and puckers when crossing over another line of stitching (because the fabric would have stretched as I worked with the quilt).

For backing fabric, I like a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "painted" onto backing with a wide wall painting brush, toss in dryer, then iron with steam. This is quite a heavy starch solution. For the top I like to spray several layers of spray starch.

If your quilt is already layered, you can still add starch with the spray starch method. Lay quilt out on the floor on top of a large flat sheet to catch overspray. Spray from edges towards center to minimize overspray. Let dry (a fan speeds drying). Do this several times on one side, then flip the quilt over and do the same on the other side. This will make straight stitching (and especially cross-hatching) easier to accomplish without distortion. But, I would say a walking foot is almost a necessity too, especially for a large quilt.

How is your quilt supported while you sew? The best method is to suspend it. My best guess about the jump to the right and left as you sew is that it is caused by the weight of the rest of the quilt. When a quilt hangs off the side of a table, for example, it is putting stress on the area that you are sewing. This stress can increase or decrease suddenly as you sew when the weight shifts.

Edit: This is not likely, but some of the old battings had cotton seeds in them that could throw off the needle as you stitch. I don't think any of the battings currently on the market have this problem, but I suppose it's possible you are using an older cotton batting.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
I seem to have trouble with straight line stitching. My question is how do you manage straight line stitching? do you use rulers? Do you mark and then stitch? And, How about cross hatching? How do you make that straight line crosswise straight? Guides? I can be going along just fine and then boooooomm. Jerks to the right. Get back on the line and booom jerks to the left. Any solutions?
Are you talking about when you use your longarm? If it is your longarm, it sounds like you either have a high/low spot on your rails, the frame is not balanced, or there's a piece of lint on your wheels or rails. I use a short (6") strait edge guide, I get in trouble with a long one and do pretty well on the N-S and E-W lines, but struggle with diagonals.