Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Traveling Sewing "room" -- really doesn't take a lot of make many tops >

Traveling Sewing "room" -- really doesn't take a lot of make many tops

Traveling Sewing "room" -- really doesn't take a lot of make many tops

Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 AM

Default Traveling Sewing "room" -- really doesn't take a lot of make many tops

I have been at my sister's home for the last 6 weeks, here to help out while they've been involved with their daughter's struggle with cancer. I have had a lot of time to sew and thought you might be interested in my "tiny" sewing area. It has been a lesson to me in how little one actually needs to produce much from the sewing machine. My ironing board has been a wood T-V tray with a thick towel doubled as the padding. I have a small clover iron that's worked very well and doesn't take up much space on my ironing board. I bought a bottle of Bounce's Ironing Spray which I love.
This same TV tray has also been my cutting board. I brought one ruler (6.5" x 12"), my favorite rotary cutter and a 12"x18" cutting mat. My FW is on a card table that is between the wall and the bed. The back side of the bed has been my "work top area" The top of the bed is my design board. I have NOT done much quilting, mostly because I do not have a walking foot for my FW with me. I'll put the batting and backings on when I get back home.
This has been a trip down memory lane, for when I was a young bride all my sewing was done on our small kitchen/dining table in our mobile home (about the size of today's RV's!) And my supplies all fit into a sewing kit about the size of the box my FW fits in. I was making garments then for my growing family.
Attached Thumbnails web-sewing-center-sharons-1.jpg   web-sewing-center-sharons-4.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 AM

Nice little nest you have there. I'm sure your family appreciates your help.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:18 AM

Thanks for your post. This is just what I need as I downsize. My prayers go out to you and your family, especially your niece. m
Old 03-29-2012, 05:23 AM

It's amazing how little we can get by with. I, too, have done the traveling quilter dance....to my sister in Orlando who suffers with Crohn's Disease. My prayers are going out to your niece. God bless you for your kindness to your family. I'm sure they appreciate all that you do for them.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 AM

How cute is that space and sew productive! Great job.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 AM

That is a very cute sewing space glad you have a little space for your master pieces Our prayers also go with you and your family We are going through the same with our oldest son who will start his chemo treatments tomorrow but his is a rare kind of cancer again my prayers go with you
Old 03-29-2012, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I'm so glad you have the spirit to make do with whatever is at hand while you help your sister and her family. My best thoughts to all of you.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Banned

very nicely done! I know this helps you maintain your inner peace so that your strength is good and you can be a good support for your family! Prayers go with you all!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 AM

we travel in a 40 foot motor home...I take my Janome Gem, a travel iron, and kits that I have already cut out at home...not much space required!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 AM

I am willing to bet a good majority of us started this way before we upgraded to using dining rooms, master bedrooms, kid's rooms, remodeled basements, or added a studio in the backyard. Some continue to do so. Many do not take books and magazines or artwork or yarn and needles to pass the time when on vacation, visits or when dealing with life's trials as you are. We take our machines and set up our corners where we can. Prayers to you and your sister's family.