Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
update on my new home 534 >

update on my new home 534

update on my new home 534

Old 09-29-2011, 03:58 PM

It sews! I've got the tension set to make a pretty good seam. I've oiled it. However, it seems like something may be wrong with either the motor or the pedal. It's like the motor doesn't always want to catch and go :-(. Any ideas?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:24 PM

Two things 1) if it's been out of use, it may just need oiling and use to loosen everything up and 2) some older machines like you to give the flywheel a little turn to start them. My 1940s Necchi does, my 1956 301 doesn't and the 1973 Elna only does if I'm sewing something like leather. I don't know what you've been sewing on, but it's not a big deal to pop your hand up and pull the wheel (or push, a few go the other way).

edit:The Necchi's knee control was very stiff until I sprayed it with WD-40. Do not use WD-40 on the machine and only on the foot petal as a last resort.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:20 PM

I got the knee control pedal off the desk to see if I could tell if it was the pedal or the motor. I'm 99% certain it's the pedal (but that's not saying the motor couldn't have a secondary problem)

A couple of questions
1. Can I use this same pedal on the floor or does it need a bottom to go on the floor?
2. Are replacement pedals available?
3. Could an electrician fix this? I'll see if I can get ahold of my normal repair guy at the quilt store, but would a vacuum/sewing shop be better?

As you can see, one of the springs is missing. It's actually there, just not in place, and so is the hook. However, the copper colored thing that holds the hook in place is broken.

When I pushed on the pedal, the thing that slides across the copper things gets stuck on the first (technically 2nd) - I'm assuming that's because the first one is missing.

spring not in place, hook, broken "copper holder"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]264294[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-264241.jpe  
Old 09-29-2011, 08:00 PM

I don't touch defective electrics. You should be able to get a replacemnet. The seller of my 301 sent it with a new foot petal. Your problem will be matching the connection at the machine, plus older ones are sometimes wired into the motor. My 1952 128 is, as is the Necchi.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the update. (I'm the person who gave one like yours to DIL, & gave you info for instruction manual download.)
You should be able to replace the problem pedal. Try Janome website if unable to repair it locally.
Have fun w/ your sewing machine.