Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Updated with graphic for 1/4: seams >

Updated with graphic for 1/4: seams

Updated with graphic for 1/4: seams

Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I finally came up with a graphic for easy, accurate 1/4" seams which I posted about before. Check here....

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-109768-4.htm#3778642

Jan in VA
Old 07-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Banned

Another suggestion is a metal seam guide that screws into the throat of your machine. They're very inexpensive ($10 maybe?) and work beautifully. I have one for each of my machines.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-231427.jpe  
Old 07-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Power Poster

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

And here's a way to verify your measurement. figure out which method works best for you. It's so nice when all your pieces fit well!!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89997-1.htm
Old 07-25-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
Another suggestion is a metal seam guide that screws into the throat of your machine. They're very inexpensive ($10 maybe?) and work beautifully. I have one for each of my machines.
Hi I like to suggest a magnet seam guide for those whose machine can't or don't have that piece available. It is very very inexpensive about 1.99 at the fabric stores. It is a lifesaver for quilters and sewers alike. It is safe for computer machines as I use it on all my machines. I found this gem about twenty years ago while I was teaching, the students had a hard time keeping the seams straight, so I tried everything like tape etc, but their seams still weren't straight. I happen to be at one of the notion sales and found this gem took it home and found that it worked better because its unmovable while sewing and it keeps the fabric on the left and in place giving perfect seams each time as well as helps you to concentrate on what you're sewing rather than if the seam is straight or accurate. I am a new quilter after 50 years of sewing and I would not attempt to piece without it.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:45 AM

Just be careful iusing a magnetic seam guide on your comuter machines
Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Bill

Hi
If you are looking for straight seams and a scant Quarter inch - we have a great video on you tube at http://youtu.be/aBoLPslLxTs
It shows the importance of getting a scant quarter. Video is by Westalee Design
Bill

Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by tee99
Originally Posted by cjtinkle
Hi I like to suggest a magnet seam guide for those whose machine can't or don't have that piece available. It is very very inexpensive about 1.99 at the fabric stores. It is a lifesaver for quilters and sewers alike. It is safe for computer machines as I use it on all my machines. I found this gem about twenty years ago while I was teaching, the students had a hard time keeping the seams straight, so I tried everything like tape etc, but their seams still weren't straight. I happen to be at one of the notion sales and found this gem took it home and found that it worked better because its unmovable while sewing and it keeps the fabric on the left and in place giving perfect seams each time as well as helps you to concentrate on what you're sewing rather than if the seam is straight or accurate. I am a new quilter after 50 years of sewing and I would not attempt to piece without it.
wow, never knew these magnetized seam guides were safe for computerized machines!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

THey are for MOST computerized machines, but not all! You need to check with your manufacturer and find out if your machine is shielded before using a magnet near it.