Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very frustrated with my longarm >

Very frustrated with my longarm

Very frustrated with my longarm

Old 07-18-2015, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

I looked to see where you are located. Too far from me but maybe another member with a similar long arm close by could do you a favor and try and help. How frustrating. Maybe replace the needle or use a bigger needle?
Old 07-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
My thoughts are you have your quilt too tight. Make sure it's smooth but not too tight.
Good point!
Old 07-18-2015, 05:26 PM

After everything you have done I would go with the quilt is too taught. I have never had problems with my machine that was not user error. Those machines make a lot of people happy so don't feel bad about owning one. Not all machines make all people happy.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Theresa don't know what frame you are using but if your getting skipped stitches at the back close to the take-up and dead bar could be the dead bar is set too high. The dead bar should sit far enough down that you can't put your entire hand between the machine bed and the quilt. Hope this makes sense (I have a Grace frame and that was one of my issues with skipped stitches.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:54 AM

My sympathies are with you for your troubles. I have a Viking Mega Quilter (made by Tin Lizzie). It has had every electronic piece in it replaced, overhauled stem to stern, and the last time it came back it had the same problem as when it went to the factory. It has spent more time at the factory than in my use. I would suggest that you are having trouble with the electronic board in it. My machine worked for the first half hour of use, and then would go all crazy on me, stitches skipped, sped up, the only way you could stop this was to unplug it for a half hour or more. I ended up replacing the machine with a HQ Avante. Best and smartest purchase I ever made. My plan for the mega quilter is to let my son have it for an anchor when he goes fishing.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:09 AM

All the longarms stitch the same way, up and down , up and down, and up and down. Take a look at Cindy Stowe's quilts and you will see that your machine has everything you need. Cindy and I worked together over the phone to work out all the issues with her machine, which she purchased used. I believe the biggest problem was her poles on her frame. The poles had been treated with glavanizing material which left residue on the poles even after scrubbing. She had to sand them down thoroughly with steal wool to get all of that off. I am not sure what she conditioned them with afterwards or if she did but she is a perfect person to get in touch with!!!!! Good luck! You can PM me or Cindy.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:17 AM

I don't have a Tin Lizzie but here are some things we check when we have problems with skipped stitches:

(1) Make sure your encoders are working correctly..You can move the machine slowly and eitherwatch the encoder wheels turn or lightly touch the wheels to see if they move. If either of thewheels are not moving completely and smoothly you will have skipped stitches

(2) Change out the needle…Sometimes a needle can get a burr on the tip

(3) Make sure your hopping foot is not too high….to adjustthe hopping foot put 8 sheets of paper under the hopping foot and lower the foot until it sets onthe paper…then tighten the hopping foot. You can also use a business card.

(4) Check your bobbin tension and top tension

(5) Make sure your needle is in correctly….the groove at the bottom of the needle should be at theback (Depends o which brand of machine you have)

(6) Make sure the machine is threaded correctly.

(7) I think some have mentioned that they had skipped stitches when using a certain type ofthread…you can change thread if nothing else works.

(8) Make sure your two rails are level and not too high..uneven rails can create skipped stitches.Having your rails too high above the fabric can create skipped stitches….the rails should only beapproximately ¼ or so above the base of the Block Rockit. Just enough so that the machine rollssmoothly.

(9) Clean the lint from the bobbin case and also under the needle plate

(10)When all else fails, your timing could be off especially if you broke a needle.

NOTE: In most of the cases when I start getting skipped stitches I know I have lint under the needleplate. I take the time to do a thorough cleaning (especially under the needle plate) and oiling andusually my skipped stitches disappear.

David
Old 07-19-2015, 03:59 AM

Are you quilting batiks ? I had an issue when trying to quilt batiks and a dealer told me that I needed to up the needle size to 18 or 20 - maybe you could try this. Once I changed my needle size no more skipped stitches.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:50 AM

I have a tin lizzie also, and yes, it can test your patience. I was having good the same problem and did all the same fixes. Now try lowering your hopping foot. You should be able to slide a dime under it. That has worked like a charm for me twice. I hope it works for you!
Old 07-19-2015, 05:46 AM

I recently had a similar issue with my LA. Did all the recommended fixes and still missed stitches in the same area. DH saved the day. He suggests pulling the ribbon cables, and inspect them, if they are full of lint, clean them. Re -insert cable connector at the machine and at the encoder and make sure it is fully seated. Due to oxidation, you may need to use an appropriate electrical contact cleaner on the pins and the ribbon cable connector. Just slight oxidation can cause intermittent connection problems. The connectors used on many of these machines were intended for stationary computer use and not for the constant movement and vibration of a sewing machine (and yes, my husband said to include that).