Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wall organizers & using your "good" machine >

Wall organizers & using your "good" machine

Wall organizers & using your "good" machine

Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 AM

Don't worry about hurting your machine. If it doesn't like it, it'll tell.

All the ladies have good advice for this. Just remember to change your needle back after sewing this project.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Banned

Can't help ya there kiddo, Currently I'm using my sons old baby dresser for all my sewing stuff. :?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
Can't help ya there kiddo, Currently I'm using my sons old baby dresser for all my sewing stuff. :?
Hey Bev, I've got one of those too. That chest of drawers has made full circle. When one of the grandchildren was born, I gave it to my daughter. Then many years later, she asked "Mama, what do you want me to do with the chest of drawers?" I answered, "Bring it on back." :lol:
And I quickly found a spot for it in THE room. That's the one I use to put my little June Tailor cutting board/ironing pad on. It's just the right height.
That c-o-d is 45 years old. It was unpainted furniture that I sanded, stained, and sealed, etc. Still looks great.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:40 AM

I have sewn with plastic on my sewing machine (it's a 9 year old Bernina) and it did just fine. You are supposed to use either a roller or nylon foot. Since I have neither, I used tissue paper, too. I sewed with the plastic on the bottom and the fabric on the top. I put the tissue paper between the bed of my sewing machine and the plastic. That way I could see where I was sewing, instead of having the plastic and tissue paper on top, blocking my view. I had no problems at all. I used only slightly larger stitches and the tissue paper tore off just fine. Good luck!! It is not easy--but you can do it.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:31 PM

I made one with my regular machine, I did use tissue paper between the pressure foot and plastic and the large needle. Then I sewed bias tape along the open edges so that the plastic wouldn't stretch out of shape or stick to my hand. :wink:

I did use the jeans large needle and the longest stitch. It won't hurt the machine but I wouldn't use the needle on anything else. I tried to sharpen it, but the plastic just wasn't forgiving with it.

I used bright colored stripes.

You'll do wonderfully, it will be beautiful. But I also have a peg board. I miss it, my Neil is in there now (remember the bridge to my bed?)

Hugs,
Sharon
Old 01-08-2009, 06:36 PM

I went to see a friend today and she bought some of that pink syrofoam type insulation at Home Depot and just glued some felt fabric on it. No sewing. It works great. Sure cheaper than buying headliner like Elenor Burns uses. Think about it..