Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want opinions of Red Snappers for your long arm >

Want opinions of Red Snappers for your long arm

Want opinions of Red Snappers for your long arm

Old 03-03-2016, 04:42 AM

I am the one who made the poor man snappers and still use them. I also bought Mondo clips which work very well and hold up since they are so strong. I bought them through Amazon several years ago and they were at a lower price than snappers. If you are wondering why I have both, it is because I share my long arm with friends and sometimes we don't 'finish a quilt on the longarm so we just take it off, leaving it attached to the leaders so someone else can use the machine. All the leaders have velcro for easy attachment to poles.
Here is link to Mondo Clips.
http://www.amazon.com/Clip-n-Seal-Mo...=sealing+clips
Old 03-03-2016, 07:25 AM

Quiltingshorttimer, I have an Innova which automatically comes with a deadbar. Mine is square instead of the normal round one as I have the crosshatch system installed. Other folks with this setup don't seem to have any issues with the red snappers but I seem to so I still pin as it doesn't bother me to pin. I roll up my batting onto the last roller to keep it off the floor but use the wide "C" clamps I purchased thru Jamie Wallen's site. Had them on my old system and loved them.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:00 AM

Love my red snappers but there is a little bit of a learning curve. I can load a king size in about 15 mins. Yeah!!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:16 AM

I purchased them and hated them until today. I have been trying to use them but they are so hard to attach them. So, now that I read this article today I am going back to try what you said by soaking them in warm to hot water. I am so tired of getting my skin ripped off by pins. Thanks for the message Quiltingshorttimer.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:15 AM

I love mine. They do need to get broken in, but are great once they have been.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:30 PM

I also made my own. I used swimming pool coping strips for the snap on part on top. I used 3/8" polyethylene tubing purchased at Lowe's and made a casing on my leaders for it to go into. Have been using it for years. Love it, love it, love it. It is a little hard on the hands at first, but once the pieces have been used a bit, they loosen up. Cost was less than $35 for all the materials. I would suggest getting the coping strips first, and taking them with you to the hardware store to make sure you get the right diameter tubing. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2016, 03:31 PM

Default Another opinion here

It looks like I am in the minority (at least in this thread), but I have the Red Snappers and I hate them
and there are others out there just like me. I saw both opinions when I was shopping and decided that
I would take a chance on them, but I wish I had saved the money (for fabric!) I think it's hard to keep
the fabric straight while you are trying to trap it with the Snappers and it really hurts my arthritic thumbs
to squeeze the two parts together. Mine have been shoved in a corner for at least a year. I pin and have
only stuck myself once hard enough to draw blood (and I have thin skin).
Old 03-04-2016, 04:34 AM

Love my Leadergrips, won't be going back to pinning!
Old 03-04-2016, 05:55 PM

They are so much easier and quicker than pinning. I love them.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:43 PM

Default Red Snapper System

[QUOTE=quiltingshorttimer;7481755]I will be going to the IMQA Machine Quilters Showcase in Cedar Rapids in May and thinking about purchasing the Red Snappers for my 14' table. I'd like to hear your opinions on this. I have added additional leaders with zippers already, but still actually pin to the leader that I zip on (did this primarily so I could turn it easier or take off if needing to switch a quilt) so still pinning. Would like a system that is quick, holds the quilt squarely, works with me floating most tops, is easy to use without ripping off my already mangled finger nails and hurting my hands. Does anyone use them on a 14' table?

I LOVE my red snappers. They really save a lot of time. They came with a few extra pieces which was nice. I bought some of the shorter clamps also which you'll find helpful for different sized quilts. So much faster and than pinning.