Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well known quilter >

Well known quilter

Well known quilter

Old 06-09-2015, 04:40 AM

OUr guild had Sharon Schamber one year.....what a wonderful treat that was. Sharon was terrific! Her day long class was filled with instruction on paper piecing and all her techniques....class cost was $40! $150 is a lot for one day....kit is for one block...still too expensive.

Last edited by Lady Diana; 06-09-2015 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:05 AM

I agree with whomever said: what is the class worth to you? What is she teaching and how many students? I have paid that much for hands on class from a LA teacher at a Quilt show (Road 2 California), but never at a guild or a store. I just had a class with Wendy Mathson (Storm at Sea) through one of the guilds I belong to and it was only $35. She even brought her templates for us to try, rather than us having to buy them first.

I had a class with Paula Nadelstern at my LQS a few years ago and it was about $75 (?).
Old 06-09-2015, 07:00 AM

Most guilds pay anywhere from $200 - $500 for a class, more if it is a nationally known teacher. That cost is split between the attendees for a flat rate of $35-$40 and the guild eats the balance if there is not enough participation by members.

Our guild charges $40 per person and you supply your own fabrics; however, the teacher is the speaker at the meeting the night before the class, and he/she usually has kits / fabrics / patterns to sell. I did pay $60 once, but it was a 2-day class with Harriett Hargrave (heirloom machine quilting). I had to buy the batting sample pack she sells through her on-line store. I chose to stay at the hotel where the class was being held, even though it was less than 10 miles from my house, because I knew we would be going to dinner that night and didn't want to worry about driving in the dark. Breakfasts were courtesy of the hotel and lunch was provided. For me, staying at the hotel was a mini-vacation.

Most of the classes at the LQSs in my area run about $40 and you supply your own fabrics. I think $150 plus extra for the kit is a little expensive. That said, and repeating what others have said, if you really want to attend this class and the cost is not prohibitive, go for it!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:06 AM

I think it's too much for a guild or a shop to charge, the going rate for classes with 'celebrity' quilters at a quilt show, and low for internationally known quilters in thier own studios. The question of worth can only be answered by you.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:07 AM

Can you afford it? $10 is NOT a bargain if it will short you on the necessities of life - including fabric.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:41 AM
Suz

Could also be Edyta Sitar. She had workshop at the local guild. I believe it was $75 which was well worth it. She not only taught the class on baskets, she provided so many wonderful free giveaways. Edyta is an excellent and talented lady and she is funny. I hope this is who you guest will be. If so, you are in for a treat.

Be sure to let us know.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I personally think that is a lot, especially with the additional cost of a kit for the class. I guess it would depend on how much you think of that well known quilter and if the class would be helpful for you. I once signed up for a class to make a vest with a well known quilt teacher, however, I did not read the fine print which stated that you also had to purchase her book in addition to the cost of the class. I did learn a lot from the class, but between the cost of the class, the book and materials, it cost me over $100 for the class, and this was several years ago, lesson learned to always read the class information before signing up.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:33 PM

Like the others have said, you have to weigh how much this particular teacher means to you and what your personal comfort level is.

I personally believe that this is a bit on the high side - to give a little more perspective, all-day classes at AQS functions seem to be going for $100 for non-members, $80 for members. At Quilt Odyssey all-day classes were $70 this year. Most provide you with a supply list, so you can shop your stash or buy all new fabric, so you have some control over the expense. Some require the purchase of a book or pattern and/or a specific ruler.

You might want to check this teacher's website to see if there is another time or place that you could take a class that would work better for you.

Good Luck!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:11 PM

I attended a 3-day class with a well-known machine embroidery instructor and it cost $300 per person. There were 24 attendees in the class. The organizer had to furnish air plane fare, car transportation, hotel room (5 nights), lunch & dinners and instructors fee. I stayed at the hotel because I didn't want to worry about car trouble and considered it my vacation that year. For me -- it was money well spent because I learned so much.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:49 AM

Is the quilter teaching something you want to learn and will use afterward? That's what drives me to take a class. Otherwise, it's just fluff and a waste of my time.