Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well known quilter >

Well known quilter

Well known quilter

Old 06-10-2015, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Edyta Sitar came to my guild. Her guild program was paid through the guild program budget and all day workshop for the next day cost each member $65. The guild's budget always covers the travel and lodging expenses. She is an excellent teacher and a super nice person.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

Too much for me and I don't take classes. If I can't learn by other methods, then I don't need to learn.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:08 AM

Had the same type of thing here, almost $400 by the time you added everything. Too rich for me, no matter who they are!
Old 06-10-2015, 04:57 PM

It seems a little high to me! but you have to choose if it's worth to you! no one else can answer that question but you!!
Old 06-10-2015, 05:17 PM

We just don't have enough facts to gauge whether this is a good deal or not.
-Who is the famous quilter?
-Is the fabric kit included or not (the way you worded your post can be read both ways)?
-Is lunch provided?
-What extras are they giving away with the cost of the class (e.g. books, patterns, fabric, etc.)?
-How long is the class?
-What is the maximum enrollment in the class -meaning will you have a lot of one-on-one time with the instructor?
-Are sewing machines/equipment provided or do you have to bring your own?
-What is the topic that will be taught?
-Is this an advanced level class?

At the end of the day, I agree with the others that say that if it is worth it to you than go for it. If it isn't, then don't, regardless of who the quilter is. For example, if Edyta Star came to my town, I wouldn't be interested in her class. Her aesthetic is just not my vibe. But she is a funny, witty person who makes beautiful art and I can understand why others would love to take a class with her. So I would rather not sign up for the class which frees up a spot for someone really excited to learn from her.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:38 PM

I would not pay that much for a class regardless of how well known she is. In addition to the class you have to pay for a kit that only makes a block....not even a finished product like a table runner or wall hanging...just a block. No, I'd run from that & not look back.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:58 PM

The LQS occasionally gets real well known teachers (giants in the field) -- went to one of the weekends at a cost of $150 and I supplied the fabric. The teacher was really offensive if she did not like your fabric choices and I hated the whole weekend as a result. Haven't been to a well known teacher since. My current budget won't allow me to pay anything close to $150 for a class.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 AM

I would think the cost of her coming, her travelling, food, hotel are all expenses that are the reason the cost is what it is. I recently took a class from a teacher that travelled 400 miles and the cost was $145.00 + the cost of the kit. This was done through our guild and we split the cost of the expenses. This was the cost. Only you can decide if the cost is worth your involvement.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:18 PM

OK I have to know who is the teacher!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:02 PM

Kaffe Fassett came to our city last year, accompanied by Brandon Mably. He had an exhibit at our public Art Gallery (free), but did a couple of paid lectures and private tours (where he talked us through some of the exhibits). I went to both a lecture and tour and thoroughly enjoyed them. I was a huge fan of his in my knitting heyday (and still am). I knew I would be unlikely to have that opportunity again.

He also did quilting and knitting workshops. The cost was £100 for the day long workshops (around$160) and you took your own fabric. They were a sell out.

Only you know how much you want to go. At the end of the day, something is worth only what someone is willing to pay. In the case of the Kaffe Fassett sell out, people obviously thought he was worth the money.