Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the appeal of the automatic cutter? >

What is the appeal of the automatic cutter?

What is the appeal of the automatic cutter?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 AM

I use mine on my TOL brothers all the time, no nest, probably won't use it for FMQ if I want to bury threads but for piecing it does make things quicker. I do still chain piece so I don't use it all the time but it is a necessity for embroidery machine. I do not get nests from it
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 AM

I love the one on my baby lock. Then again I never knew I needed it until I had it. I used my brother without one for years. Now that I have it though I won't go back. I never get a nest and don't have to search for my threads before I start again.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:43 AM

I just got one for the first time and kept forgetting to use it! I also don't use the knee lift and I know people swear they cant do without that.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I never look for the thread ends before starting the next seam. I just start sewing. No thread ends to worry about. The threads should cut to be about 1/4" long and no way to pull them out to begin a new seam. That would defeat the purpose of having the thread cut.
Same here!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 AM

If the needle is getting unthreaded, loosen the tension a little til its right. I never use it with invisible thread.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:32 AM

I don't think I could sew without it anymore...saves so much time. I do a lot of chain piecing, but when that isn't an option, I use the cutter and then just start sewing the next piece. Sometimes I get a little nest, but that doesn't bother me.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM

I never use mine except by accident. Wish I could disable this function on my machine
because I have absolutely zero use for it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 AM

I have the Brother 1500 and the thread would pull out of the needle when using the thread cutter. The dealer kept saying buy a new thread cutter. Why it was brand new! A poster here told me to by pass the three hole bar or use only the first hole and have the thread go down the hole not come up underneath the hole like the picture shows. The bar is used to add more tension to thread. My needle doesn't come unthreaded anymore.
That is very interesting!!!!! Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 AM

I have the Brother 1500 and the thread would pull out of the needle when using the thread cutter. The dealer kept saying buy a new thread cutter. Why it was brand new! A poster here told me to by pass the three hole bar or use only the first hole and have the thread go down the hole not come up underneath the hole like the picture shows. The bar is used to add more tension to thread. My needle doesn't come unthreaded anymore.
Thank you for the heads up. I do not have unthreading problems..but if I do I will know what to do. I have only had my 1500 a couple of months and have been using the thread cutter.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by kat13 View Post
I just got one for the first time and kept forgetting to use it! I also don't use the knee lift and I know people swear they cant do without that.
They take a little bit of time getting used to, but take the time it is well worth it. I don't use my thread cutter as much but I couldn't live without my knee lift!!!! Even though when I first got it I thought I will never use this.