Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what to buy when you're not made of money? >

what to buy when you're not made of money?

what to buy when you're not made of money?

Old 01-22-2010, 08:36 AM

Oh yuk, I didn't realize that. So all you can do for now is dream. That's OK, because by the time you get it home, you'll have all kinds of ideas on what to do on it.

Will you be able to take lessons at the store you bought it at? I took as many lessons and classes as I could to learn more about my machine. It's amazing how much you can do with a sewing machine!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:06 PM

I have been wondering where all the other lovers of a brand of sewing machines have been on this question.
What sewing machine is best for me?
As quilters, I think we go through stages, upgrading as we go don't you? I have a Pfaff 7570 and old 1211 metal, I have two featherweights and two Baby Lock machines that I love to pieces.

I started with a used BabyLock Esante 2, which is electronic and did embroidery as well. I now use a quilters choice to take to classes and quilt group and an Elegante that stays at home, all bought used at a dealer and serviced be4 purchase.

6 of the gals in our quilt group had Janomes and all are now converts to BabyLock. They just seem to be much more user friendly.

I think the MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE OF ALL IS WHERE YOU CAN HAVE YOUR MACHINE WORKED ON. We have no dealers that will work on Singers or Kenmore which means those gals must ship their machines for tune ups or repair, warrenty or not.

My quilting friends all have an old favorite with which they will never part and they use those favs when good machine is in shop.
I think Bernina makes a lovely machine and Viking/Huskvarna?
used to be a good machine but I don't know about now. Singer doesn't make Singer and last I heard. I haven't heard anything about Elna since they sold to an investment group years ago when Eleanor Burns stopped using them.

I don't think you have to buy new, I never have. If one can afford it, terrific, if not, there are plenty of great machines available. I live 40 miles from town (not city mind you) and
I drove and drove and tried machines from each dealer before
I made a decision. And went back again and again to make sure of my choice (240) miles round trip everytime.

I think an all metal machine in the house or a very good old
reliable is a must. You can pick them up with a little knowledge
checking out websites on care and what to look for and don't want.

After 20 years of machine quilting, I am still sewing on a $10.00
table, garage sale, and my other machine table is plywood with four pretty legs that I put together. The p wood has finished side up, then bought molding for sides.

I guess I am trying to say is make a start, go to some classes as many will furnish machines. See what you like or if you will stay with it before making a major purchase.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:09 PM

GREAT ADVICE. THANK YOU.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
Yes I test drove it yesterday before buying it...but unfortunately I am not able to bring her home until I am done paying for her. I spent 2x the amount of money than I wanted, so I have to be patient.
Well, they say patience is a virtue... I'd decide what the top couple of projects on my list are and (assuming you've got a fabric stash to pull from) start cutting so that those are ready to go as soon as the new machine can come home.

If no stash... Well, guess you don't want to spend $ on fabric when you are wanting to get that machine home a.s.a.p., so would say to start looking over patterns and start planning and dreaming.

Congratulations on your new machine, hope you can get it home quick. I bought my sewing machine15 years ago and still love it as much as I did then. Let us know when you start to play.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:11 PM

My goal at this point, and to keep myself "sew" busy to not think about the new machine, is to peice a number of projects that I have waiting, then sandwhich them so that I have a big pile to work on when she comes home. I already have 3 laptops, 6 placemats, 2 wallhangings, and 1 table runner waiting.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:54 PM

I have the Elna 7200. I love my machine. It is a real work horse. I bought it from a guy who's wife passed away. He had bought it for their anniversay and she wasn't ever able to use it. The thread cutter is great for paper piecing.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 PM

I'm just wondering........ if all these do-dads are 'must haves' for quilting, then why is the Singer Featherweight so popular with quilters?

Don't get me wrong - I love the do-dads on my modern machine. The Featherweight is 'cute' and has a nice stitch, but is terribly basic, no bells or whistles at all.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:53 PM

The friends of mine who have them say they are lightweight and easy to transport to class or Midnight Quilter sessions. I don't have one, so I can't speak from my own experience but I do see ladies bringing them to short classes and Midnight Quilters.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:49 PM

Daisy Boo-you did good! Elna is a great machine and should last you a lot of years. Congratulations!