Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what to buy when you're not made of money? >

what to buy when you're not made of money?

what to buy when you're not made of money?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Knee lift lever is key for me. When I'm piecing or quilting, it is so helpful to use my knee to lift the presser foot while keeping both hands on the fabric. Needle up/down is also very important.
What is a knew lift lever? Do you use the knee instead of the foot? and when you say needle up and down what do you mean? Thanks no stupid questions, right?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:33 AM

There is a button that controls the position of the needle when you stop sewing. The needle can be positioned to always stop in either the up position or down in the fabric.

The knee lift lever fits into the front of your machine and when you press your knee against it lifts the presser foot so you can turn your fabric without taking your hands off the fabric.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by daisyboo9
after saying I wasn't going to buy right away, I ended up going against my best intentions. But I am pretty excited....and I can't wait to get her home. I spent way more than I wanted, but I can justify in a number of ways. I bought an Elna 7200pro, there is a new version but the deal I got with this one was amazing. Not only does it come with all the feet and an extension table, but the actual table that it sits down in as well...which was a $600 bonus. The other way I can justify is that if I really wanted to mount it on a frame I can, which will eliminate the need to upgrade once more, unless it is a true long arm! Here is the link with all the features
http://www.elna.com/en-ca/model_quilt_elna-7200.php
Congratulations on your new baby.
Thank-you for asking the question. I am in the market for a new machine & learned alot from all the responses. I currently have a 40 yr old kenmore, it has been a work horse for yrs and that right there is why I am thinking kenmore .
ok now we want to hear from you as you learn your new machine..have fun!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:57 AM

after saying I wasn't going to buy right away, I ended up going against my best intentions. But I am pretty excited....and I can't wait to get her home. I spent way more than I wanted, but I can justify in a number of ways. I bought an Elna 7200pro, there is a new version but the deal I got with this one was amazing. Not only does it come with all the feet and an extension table, but the actual table that it sits down in as well...which was a $600 bonus. The other way I can justify is that if I really wanted to mount it on a frame I can, which will eliminate the need to upgrade once more, unless it is a true long arm! Here is the link with all the features
Looks like you got a great machine Daisy. Now get to work and show us some projects you made on it! :lol: Just kidding! Have a ball playing with it and figure out how this and that works. And be sure to use the knee lift lever! The ladies here who either hadn't heard of it or have it and don't use will be very interested in your comments about it.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 AM

I need a new machine here at home, I cannot afford a mid arm or a long arm, either financially or even space wise. I think I have narrowed it down to Janome being the brand name, but what I really need to know is.....what bells and whistles do I really need? There are a few different machines, some are more basic than others (ex; more stitches available). I do not trust a man to sell me a machine that does not use it to do the same thing I want to do. He may know everything about all the machines but he is not a quilter.
Long story short....what features are absoloutley essential to you to have on your machine to get the job done?
You certainly don't have to spend a fortune to get a good machine, but remember you get what you pay for. A $99 machine will not last you as long or be as sturdy as a $400 machine. A dealer will have a wide selection of machines to choose from at most price points. And there is a reason that dealers don't choose to carry those cheap machines from the big box stores. The dealers reputations are built on the quality of their merchandise, and if you will be doing any amount of sewng and quilting, you'll want a machine that can take it. Even the most basic machines will have good features, so be sure to test them out to see what feels and sounds comfortable for you.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Wow, you need a knee lift for your foot. My Sapphire does it automatically when you stop sewing when in needle down mode. I have a new appreciation for my machine.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Congrats on your new baby! Awesome! Take care of her, and she will reward you with a long life!

Love my Janome 6600..has everything i need and more..such a workhorse too!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi

Congratulations on your new baby.
Thank-you for asking the question. I am in the market for a new machine & learned alot from all the responses. I currently have a 40 yr old kenmore, it has been a work horse for yrs and that right there is why I am thinking kenmore .
ok now we want to hear from you as you learn your new machine..have fun!
Something I just learned....Janome makes Kenmore machines. I would have gone with a Janome if I hadn't seen the Elna because I have a very basic Kenmore and it is a tank as far as taking punishment and still working. I plan to keep using my Kenmore to piece with and my new baby for free motion.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 AM

Janome and Elna are made by the same company. I think one owns the other, can't remember who owns who.

Have you done any sewing on it yet? I'm so excited for you!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Janome and Elna are made by the same company. I think one owns the other, can't remember who owns who.

Have you done any sewing on it yet? I'm so excited for you!
Yes I test drove it yesterday before buying it...but unfortunately I am not able to bring her home until I am done paying for her. I spent 2x the amount of money than I wanted, so I have to be patient.