Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What chair do you use?? >

What chair do you use??

What chair do you use??

Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 AM

I have the big sewing chair offered by Horn/Regal and LOVE IT. It has lower lumbar support, multiple tilt positions and a LARGE SEAT and the back is also wider that makes for greater support on the back.

The chair is expensive but it is well worth the purchase price. This will be the last chair we will have to buy.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:39 AM

My husband bought me an office chair. It looks like black leather and it is made of mesh in some parts becuz I sweat so much. It was around $175 but it is worth every penny.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 AM

I'm w/Shemjo! I did exactly that...kept going to office supply stores and sat in different chairs and our LQS had a deal on an ergo sewing chair. I can honestly tell you that there is no difference to me. Just pluck your back pockets like goldy and the 3 bears till you find the one that 'fits just right'...:)Look for the option of adjusting your height. That way if you go somewhere else w/that sewing machine, you can adjust your chair height too to match. Skeat
Old 04-13-2009, 10:50 AM

I have an office chair I purchased from Staples. It has a high back swivels, rocks and goes up and down. I like the arms as they support my arms when I am doing a lot of sewing. I have my sewing table adjusted to the right height so that my arms are parrallel to the table of my sewing machine. The table also came from STaples and my husband cut the legs down to make it the right size. The only other thing I did was add a donut cushion to the seat as I have serious muscle loss in my postier due to a chronic disease. I have the same kind of set up height wise with my computer. Without those adjustments I would not be able to use either machine for more than a few minutes.
The chair was on sale for less than $100. I consider it a great investment.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 AM

I also have a computer chair on wheels that height adjusts. I do get up and down to iron and use the cutting table. Quilting aerobics anyone? :lol:

In one of my early quilting classes the instructor discussed ergonomics. She had us purchase 2 rubber door stops. You slide the low end slightly under the back of each side of your machine and it tips the machine slightly towards you. The machine is still very stable, it is a lot easier to see what you are doing as well as better on your neck, back and arms.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM

Hi,

Slanting the machine is a great idea. While the door stops work there is actually a platform that lets you adjust the tilt. It fits under your machine and even has a slot for the cord. I purchased mine from Nancy's Notions several years ago. It does make it a lot easier on your neck when you are sewing. The only drawback is that things tend to slide off. I also have the acrilic slide on extension table for my machine. I actually broke the first one and my husband made me another out of plexglass. He was able to use the screw on adjustable feet from the original one. It is nice to have a husband who is a machinist by trade.