Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What chair do you use?? >

What chair do you use??

What chair do you use??

Old 04-07-2009, 03:58 AM

I went to Staples and bought my first chair. It had arms on it and they always got in the way. So it is now at the computor. The chair I use for sewing has no arms and is ajustable to height. Also I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought bed risers for my cutting table .So that is the right height to cut so my back doesn't hurt. But I tried the chairs out before I bought them. Marge
Old 04-07-2009, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I am in the market for a new sewing room chair. It needs wheels. I have a bad back and get fatigued quickly but love to (need to) sew for hours at a time. Do any of you have a really wonderful chair that I can check out at my local stores??
I haave a computer chair it can be adjusted up or down and it will rock back and forth i love it when i was in florida i had a computer room office and when i came back home to my home town i did not have a office so i use it for my sewing and it is wonderful i have arthritis in my lower back...Jerrie
Old 04-12-2009, 05:57 PM

i have a chair at each machine (3). one is a piano stool. no back. terrible. the other 2 are antique lawyer's wooden chairs. they weigh a ton and don't move. i'm switching my room around so i can use 1 chair, with no arms and with wheels. i can only sit at one machine at one time, right.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I bought a couple of cheap armless computer chairs at Staples and took the backs off. I recovered the seat with a pretty fabric. Everyone asks me where did you find these! The chairs have the air lift thingy so they fit everyone.

:D
Old 04-13-2009, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I used to sell high end office furniture. When I quit, I bought my favorite chair that they made. It is on casters, has adjustable seat height, arms that adjust up, down and swivel around totally out of the way. The back has adjustable lumbar support and the chair also has forward tilt. That allows the back to come FORWARD to support me even when I am leaning forward to sew...very important. Love it and wouldn't do without it! Its a Haworth chair.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

The Ergo Expert I saw on one of the quilt shows said never lean forward into the sewing machine. You should be looking down at the machine and have the machine tilted toward you if necessary.
Your arms should be at a 90º angle from you body, hands level with the sewing surface. At first it seemed the machine was way too low this way but it works.

You can lower you neck but never hunch forward, that causes all kinds of problems. I made myself sit very straight and only lower my head to sew and the difference is amazing. My back, neck and shoulders do not hurt at all after sitting at the machine for a long time. If you hurt after sewing you might try this way.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 AM

I have a computer chair with great lumbar support...I have herniated disks,so have to have a good chair...

I went to an Office store and tested( sat) in anything that looked comfy. Make sure that it is a good fit, I made a quick decision on a previous chair and had to get a different one a few months later. It hit me wrong in the back.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 AM

I have an office chair with wheels and keep a pillow at my lower back for lumbar support. I have a large office mat so it will roll easy on the hardwood. I use an armless one because I hand quilt at a frame sometimes and it makes it easier.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I use a computer chair. DD got it for me a couple years ago. I love the fact it is adjustable.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I got mine at the office supply store. I test-sat quite a few and picked one that supports my lumbar - I've had back surgery and need a good chair.