Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What color thread for the back of this quilt?? >

What color thread for the back of this quilt??

What color thread for the back of this quilt??

Old 07-01-2016, 09:28 AM

Which side do you have the problem with the 'little pokies' of color coming thru? Yes, you can get your tension tweaked to fix this, but, if this is difficult for you then use the mono thread in that location. Example, if your bobbin thread keeps appearing on the top, then use a white on top and the invisible thread in the bobbin. Or vise versa using a blue in bobbin and the nylon thread in top. If it is in the bobbin, be aware that there is a 'clear clear' thread and a 'dark clear' thread. I would use the dark clear against the dark blue or clear clear on the white.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:43 AM

Another alternative you could try is to use the same color (white or something to match your top) in both the top threading and the bobbin. If you have any "mistakes" on the back that you don't want to show you can always use a Pigma Micron pen in a dark blue to color over the threads that you see as mistakes---I've done this before and it works like a charm. You do then need to iron over the part where you colored the thread in order to set the pigment.

Your top is beautiful. I'm sure your quilting will be as well.

Rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 07-01-2016, 12:05 PM

After quilting for 35 years I still don't have the magic answer to this question. Some battings - weight and/or type -can show more pokies than others with the same threads. I have been using Aurifil lately with Dream Cotton's request weight because it is so fine yet strong. Not perfect, but satisfactory.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

I just wanted to say I love your top and anxious to see what you decide.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:28 PM

Thank you Thank you everybody!!! I tried the invisible for the top thread and bobbin, what a mess so I got to be a good friend to my ripper, next I tried it just in the bobbin that was a mess too, Then I tried just a blue thread in the bobbin and white for the top, I had more dots of blue on the top so back to my friend the ripper.. GEE I hate to rip! I finally got really disgusted and went with the white thread top and bobbin.. I had a time getting the tension back to where it was before I messed around with it.. I even had to do some ripping with the white tread as the tension was messed up..

I finally got on a roll and decided to just do a loop to loop FMQ all over the quilt.. I was really beginning to get very digested with this quilt and machine.. I had to walk away for a few hours.. I though that I had finally got the machine quilting right, I did check the back a lot just in case it screwed up..So I kept quilting and didn't keep checking as I though all was going good, well in places on the back there was some loops but seeing I was way passed that part I figured I would just keep going and fix these places after I got done with the quilting.

I don't know what happened with this quilt and the quilting as I have quilted a few quilts doing FMQ and they were fine... The Machine I am using is my Brother VQ2400 with a 11 inch throat. I really have a hard time with the tension on this machine as it has buttons that you push and the numbers go up or down for the setting..

Oh well the quilt is almost done but for the repairs to the back stitching.. This quilt has been a big pain to get done.. It is a repair job for my nephew who is a special need person, he asked if I would fix his quilt. It was made with pictures on the front and they started to peel off. I told him that I couldn't put the pictures back but could make a new top and use some of the other fabric to make the new top. He really wanted the same back fabric, don't know why, if it was up to me I would have used a printed fabric as that doesn't show the stitching as much and your mistakes. he wanted the blue backing so be it.. Oh well live and learn and I have learned a lot from this quilt and my friend the ripper.. GEEEEE Thanks again..
Old 07-01-2016, 03:19 PM

Don't know the answer to your question but sure love the quilt.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:36 PM

I would probably go with a light shade of blue. Whatever you decide, I'm sure will turn out great. Please show when you get it done.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

blue bobbin silver top
Old 07-01-2016, 07:49 PM

wow.. I love this.. you did a beautiful job on this! great question ,also..lol.. I will be looking for everyone's opinions on this one! good luck.. I am sure it will be gorgeous!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:33 PM

What about variegated thread in blue top and bottom .