Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What color thread for the back of this quilt?? >

What color thread for the back of this quilt??

What color thread for the back of this quilt??

Old 06-29-2016, 02:54 PM

I've decided to make sample of the top fabrics, not necessarily in a block, with the same batting used in the quilt, and the same backing. Then I'm ready try out the quilting on the sample without having to rip out the quilt if it's not the look I'm aiming for.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:21 PM

Since you said you are still working on your FMQ skills, I would definitely go with a matching color front & back -- which means white, in a 50wt.

The only alternative I'd consider, though I seriously dislike monofilament thread, would be monofilament on the front & then adjusting your tension so that it's pulled slightly to the back (generally hard to see mono pokies). Unless you adjust the tension to force it to be unbalanced, or you have a high loft batting, there is a pretty good chance you'll get some of the thread from the backing poking through on the front. Unfortunately, mono usually doesn't play well in the bobbin.

One other thing I'll mention is that I learned the hard way is even when I did a practice sandwich, to still stop and check the back before I get too much quilting done on the real quilt because sometimes things don't always go as expected on a full sized quilt. Not sure if that's due to the extra drag/fraction from the larger size, or the fact that we sometimes hold/move it differently or what, but I'd just encourage you to stop & check your work before you get too far along -- and keep checking it periodically to make sure it's still looking the way you had hoped.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:28 PM

No suggestions but that is one absolutely lovely top. I've always been partial to blues and this top both talks and sings to me. Beautiful job and good luck with the quilting.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:55 AM
Power Poster

Lovely top. When you are FMQ, there will always be some dots (preferable on the back) because we can NOT match the perfect timing like the machine does. Try dribbling various shade of blue and gray thread and see what looks best. I would not have chosen a dark blue solid when you had so much white in your top. Picking a "busy" print with both blue and white would have been easier. It also depends on how you want to quilt this beautiful top. I myself would ditch the blocks changing thread color to match each block. Then you can either do a background stitching such as stippling or just ditch the sashing. Good Luck and take many breaks when quilting.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:11 AM

Where will the quilt be used? Is it going on a bed? No one will turn it over to check stitches. On the wall? Same thing, the back won't be seen. Will it be a cuddle quilt? After washing, it will crinkle up and the stitches will bury. No matter which combo you choose, have fun! Practice makes perfect!
Old 06-30-2016, 03:29 AM
Power Poster

I use Material Witness 's method of making a sample with the leftovers and see what thread looks best. I would probably go for a verigated in light blues.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 AM

I also don't use different thread in top and bottom, for the reason you stated. In these cases, I go with having the front look good, so I would use white thread. Beautiful top!
Old 06-30-2016, 06:24 AM

I normally use the same color thread top and bottom as I don't feel apted enough to know how to tweak the tension so I don't get those pokies. A quilt I just finished about a month or so ago I was lucky enough that the same color worked for both sides but I had a cream colored pieced sashing before the large outer border that I didn't want to use the brown thread on so went with the cream on both sides. I like my backs to make a statement as well as the front side. The couple that received this quilt can't make up their minds which side they like best so I guess I do good this time. Here's a pic of my quilt. Can't see the cream thread on the backside but its all those little 3" triangles around the quilt, all 296 of them. What was I thinking???
Attached Thumbnails back-cornerstone-smith-mtn.jpg   full-smith-mtn.jpg   cornerstone.jpg  
Old 06-30-2016, 07:12 AM

I can't help you with color of thread. Just wanted to tell you that is one beautiful quilt!!!
Old 07-01-2016, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by dluvs2quilt View Post
Lovely quilt top!!! What is the name of the block?
I would like to know the name of the block also. It seems to me I have seen it in Block magazine by MSQC just a few months ago. I actually made a block like this for a QOV in March, but it was very difficult because I didn't know how long to make the strips. Having some directions would help. I love this pattern.