Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What color thread for the back of this quilt?? >

What color thread for the back of this quilt??

What color thread for the back of this quilt??

Old 07-02-2016, 06:16 AM

Why not a variegated blue?? Dottie - great minds think alike!!
Old 07-02-2016, 08:45 AM

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this before. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by Patricia Drew View Post
Invisafil by WonderFil might be a solution. It's 100wt polyester. It is not clear like the invisible thread, but it "sinks" into the fabric. You could use white Invisafil in both the bobbin and the needle. The white would sink into the dark blue of the batting, and it would work well on the top. No worries about "pokies". It's a good alternative to invisible thread: some machines don't like invisible thread ....
Old 07-10-2016, 04:16 PM

[I] would use light blue on both top and bottom.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Another alternative you could try is to use the same color (white or something to match your top) in both the top threading and the bobbin. If you have any "mistakes" on the back that you don't want to show you can always use a Pigma Micron pen in a dark blue to color over the threads that you see as mistakes---I've done this before and it works like a charm. You do then need to iron over the part where you colored the thread in order to set the pigment.
<OBJECT id=SILOBFWOBJECTID style="HEIGHT: 0px; WIDTH: 0px; DISPLAY: block" type=cosymantecnisbfw cotype="cs"></OBJECT>
When I have a dark back and light top, I loosen the top tension just a bit so the pokies are on the back. I then use a Pigma pen that matches the back thread to cover the pokies. This works best with cotton thread. I made a small Christmas wall hanging years ago that had a lot of different colors, quilted it all with white cotton and then colored the thread in each block to match the background. Drove everyone who saw it crazy trying to figure out what kind of thread I used.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:16 PM

I just returned from a 2-day lecture and the 'experts' tell me that monofilament in the bobbin can ruin your hook and assembly in your longarm. I was told to NEVER use mono in the bobbin.