Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do about lenghtening a quilt.... >

What to do about lenghtening a quilt....

What to do about lenghtening a quilt....

Old 10-06-2011, 10:48 AM

You ladies seem to have all the answers, so I hope you can help me. I've just finished an on point quilt top ( log cabin squares with caching) but it's too short to use as a quilt top for our bed. Does anyone have any ideas, pattern wise, as to how I can add length without the quilt looking like it has an "add on"? I don't really need to add anything to the sides, it's wide enough, it just needs to be about 15 inches longer. Thanks girls!!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

Well you can always add a 7 1/2 border to top and bottom made out of pieced 6" log cabin squares. You could set them straight with a border strip on top and bottom or put them on point for even more length.

Another options is to make big beautiful pillow shams and throw pillows to match and don't modify the quilt length at all. Simply place it on your bed lower down and cover up the gap at the top with the pillow shams and throw pillows.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 AM

What about making a strip of actual cabin blocks (little houses). You could add a strip to the bottom and one to the top as well if you wanted to so you would have enough quilt to cover your pillows if you like making your bed that way. That might be a little too Adirondack for you though?? You could also add the need length and do some appliques (flowers?) across the width that maybe spread up onto one corner of the lob cabin blocks. Where there's a will there's a way!!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

A picture would help a lot. I'm assuming that you don't have enough of the fabric to make another row of blocks. You could add a strip of plain fabric in a coordinating color and put some appliqué on it. Or make a couple of rows of pieced blocks in coordinating fabric and add to the pillow end or a row on both ends. I'd set the new blocks on point, which means that you would need to unsew a bit. I guess I'm also assuming that it's not quilted yet....
Old 10-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

either a couple more rows of blocks or top & bottom borders--either option works
Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 AM

Thanks ladies. You guys are, as the kid's say, "golden!"
Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 AM

Borders!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:09 AM

I've seen quilts in the last couple of years that have an added strip to the top that covers the pillows. Its added with similar and smaller blocks of the main quilt or similar design but in a color pattern that matches the main section of the quilt but its added ONLY to the TOP edge of the quilt.
I wish I had a picture, but its only in my mind. Just make a rectangular section long enough to cover and tuck over your pillows in colors to match. They're lovely.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 AM

I like that idea.... thanks again and again!!!!!