Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what to do with all those "left over" pieces of batting??? >

what to do with all those "left over" pieces of batting???

what to do with all those "left over" pieces of batting???

Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM

We have a fish pond with a rectangle filter, and DH uses some to keep the water clean. He changes the batting "filter" about every other month.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:56 PM

I have a picture but can't find it. Guess that means that I don't have it. I don't have any digital pictures of the quilt. I prefer my old 35MM camera.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:24 PM

You can use smaller pieces of batting to do trapunto on solid color quilt blocks.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by tkb6801
I am using them to make these quilt as you go Heartstrings blocks. You can use smaller pieces by zigzagging them together or just pinning them and overlapping slightly.

http://www.maryquilts.com/heartstrings-qayg-blocks/

Tina

I have been wanting to use up all my smaller scraps that I have been saving, but a lot of my pieces are ¾ of an inch to half an inch, which obviously can’t be used for piecing. But your idea of zigzagging the edges gave me inspiration to go ahead and try this method!! I cut my batting into 5.5 inch squares (that I’ll trim to 5 inch squares) and just started adding my scraps to the squares. I pieced the ones I could and used different decorative stitches for the small pieces. It is looking awesome so far and I am very excited to be using up my scraps!! I have a beautiful soft vintage bed sheet hanging about that I used for the back. I think I will do this project as my leaders and enders as I work on other stuff and I am sure I’ll have a nice big quilt soon enough! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Rachel
Old 02-22-2010, 10:31 PM

I use left over batting for rag quilts. I use all the pieces even the small ones.
jazs2
Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 AM

I use batting scraps for making coasters, place mats, table runners, and Hot pads. But mostly I practice my stitches to get into a rhythm before quilting a quilt. Then I will practice by drawing in the air three or four times and I am good to go! When I do my Free Motion Quilting looks so much better. I also try out new stitches with different stitch lengths and or widths before deciding how to do the final quilting on my project.