Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what to do with all those "left over" pieces of batting??? >

what to do with all those "left over" pieces of batting???

what to do with all those "left over" pieces of batting???

Old 02-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Someone asked about "Cotton Theory". It is a method of quilt-as-you go, developed by a woman named Betty Cotton. She is out of MN. It sounds much like Fun & Done. I find the hardest part is picking fabric for both sides of the quilt at the same time. But you end up with two totally different quilts or if desired just do scrappy with no pattern. One of mine is spring/summer on one side and winter on the other. Because it is quilted in the smaller pieces, you ar never handling a large object at one time. You can make a table runner or bed quilt. She has written two books, the second tell you how to use 'orphaned' blocks and convert them to her 'method'. It's really fun and I found, quite addicting to do.
Good luck.
Wendy
Old 02-16-2010, 12:46 PM

If anyone so desired, I could definately use batting pieces, large or small, to fill the little "kittie" quilts that I am putting in the cages of the kitties waiting to be adopted. They will go with them to their forever homes so they will have something that has their smell on it and relieve some of the stress. I have used up all I have and right now don't have the funds to buy more. Three have already gone with their 'owners, the kitty' to their new forever home. I'm hoping it made the transition easier. Thanks for listening.
Wendy
Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 AM

My local Quality Sewing and Vac store collects left over pieces of batting and makes sanitary pads to send overseas. You might check in your area.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:29 AM

I used the smaller pieces for the Cottom TThroey quilts and tote bags and pin cushions
Old 02-17-2010, 12:33 AM

Hi Wendy,
Yes BettyCotton was here in the area and I went to see her trunk show.
I have both her Books and tools for the 1 inch seams.
It is a neat method, for like you said you are only handling a small piece at a time. I like the fun and done also. Betty now has Jackets doen the Cotton way... she was just on with Nancy Zieman a week ago here.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 AM

hi from Tacoma
Old 02-17-2010, 12:46 AM

Just but togather and drop the feed dogs and do one st on one side and move to the other side and do a st and and make them a good 1/2 in or more apart. Works great... I used to do by hand but just as easy and I think faster o the machine, just remember to put the dogs back up.. I speak from experiance.:9)
Old 02-17-2010, 07:21 AM

Connie, how does the Cotton Theory and the Fun and Done differ or are they pretty much the same with different names? When I first met Betty Cotton, it was so funny when she mentioned that "yes, my last name REALLY IS Cotton". She sure has managed to turn that into $$$$. What were you talking about when you mentioned "dropping the feed dogs etc". Part of what was neat about the Cotton Theory was the way you could use the decorative stitches on the machine. Or if you didn't have decorative stitches, you could always use a zig zag stitch. Do you use her batting or just regular batting? I like hers because it eliminates basting but I have never used it for a large quilt, only with her pieces.
Wendy
Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 AM

I've been saving or using larger pieces for reversible quilts. Those you can make in a variety of sizes.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:26 PM

I use some of them to make practice sandwichs so I can try out new stitches with different stitch lengths and or widths before deciding how I want to do the final quilting on a new project. I also used some to stuff a crocheted lion for my great grandson due in April. I did find that rolling pieces together into 1 unit that it saves a lot of bumps and holes. I just roll up what I think is enough, put it in the body and snip off anything that extends beyond the closure. Came up nice and smooth and rounded with no bumps. Maybe they would be good to sew enough together to make 1 block when you are quilting 1 block at a time and then joining the blocks together for a complete quilt. I just pitch the really small pieces because I don't need any more "stuff" to save.