Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what to do with all those "left over" pieces of batting??? >

what to do with all those "left over" pieces of batting???

what to do with all those "left over" pieces of batting???

Old 02-13-2010, 05:46 PM

I use mine for coasters, hot pads, tote bags and small wall quilts, stuff toys, neck pillows, eyeglass cases, phone cell holders, water bottle holder, Bible Covers, book covers, etc.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:48 PM

I do use polyester batting. I sew large pieces together by hand and use smaller pieces when I'm making a quilt in the Fun & Done method. Tiny scraps are saved and given to a neighbor who uses them to stuff toys. I do not ever let my cat get hold of any piece.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 PM

When I have small pieces left over, I use them next to my machine to put thread "tails" on when I sew, I also do lots of Applique and use small pieces next to me for thread pieces I have left over.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:56 AM

I piece them together for table runners. I also use the smaller pieces for getting lint off my cutting mats and picking up threads and lint off my ironing board.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Betty Ruth
I do use polyester batting. I sew large pieces together by hand and use smaller pieces when I'm making a quilt in the Fun & Done method. Tiny scraps are saved and given to a neighbor who uses them to stuff toys. I do not ever let my cat get hold of any piece.
What is Fun & Done?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 PM

It is hard to describe the Fun & done system in words, but I'll try. Basically, One cuts the batting the same size as the quilt block and the backing 2 inches larger. Center the block with the batting under it in the absolute center of the wrong side of the backing square and quilt it. Make as many blocks as you need for your quilt. Top sew the blocks, Place them back to back and stitch close to the edge of the quilted block. Attach as many blocks together as needed for the width of the quilt. Then, press open the seams where the backing pieces are sewed together. Then each edge should be folded under over the edge of the quilt block and stitched down. This like a flat felled seam except that the seam is pressed open. Make as many rows as needed. Then sew the rows together in the same manner. When the quilt is as large as desired, turn the raw edge up over the blocks and stitch down. Your quilt is completed. What I like about it is that it is all done on the sewing machine.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:23 PM

Thank you I'll be trying that method soon.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Betty Ruth
It is hard to describe the Fun & done system in words, but I'll try. Basically, One cuts the batting the same size as the quilt block and the backing 2 inches larger. Center the block with the batting under it in the absolute center of the wrong side of the backing square and quilt it. Make as many blocks as you need for your quilt. Top sew the blocks, Place them back to back and stitch close to the edge of the quilted block. Attach as many blocks together as needed for the width of the quilt. Then, press open the seams where the backing pieces are sewed together. Then each edge should be folded under over the edge of the quilt block and stitched down. This like a flat felled seam except that the seam is pressed open. Make as many rows as needed. Then sew the rows together in the same manner. When the quilt is as large as desired, turn the raw edge up over the blocks and stitch down. Your quilt is completed. What I like about it is that it is all done on the sewing machine.
That looks like a great method to use and I just may give it a try very soon. Have some things to finish up but think I may tackle this technique and see how it works. Do you have a photo of one you could share with us?

thanks
Patty
Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM

I'm like every one else, I sew them together and use them in quilts, table runners, baby burp cloths or anything else that requires batting.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:38 PM

Who's idea was it to use the batting on your swifter? That was a great idea. I tried it yesterday and was so surprised at the results. Great idea :thumbup: