Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Do You Do With Left Over Binding? >

What Do You Do With Left Over Binding?

What Do You Do With Left Over Binding?

Old 04-28-2015, 05:16 PM

sew them together end to end to make a quilt like the jelly roll race quilt Or a shopping bag.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:58 AM

Thanks for the info and the link to the article. Very interesting and links to some other good info. I had never heard this reasoning.
Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac View Post
I think the standard answer is that it will wear better. Here's a web page that discusses all the trade-offs: http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...t-binding.html

There are a lot of varying opinions on this. We had a quilt judge that spoke at our guild meeting who said she never used bias, that most people can't get it "right", and it didn't matter. On the other hand, I've always done bias, and have always gotten good comments on my bindings when entered in shows. I like the fact that you can stretch it a little as you sew it down, so it pulls in the edge of the quilt just a hair. If you want to do any curved corners -- like around the bottom two corners of a bed quilt -- the stretch you get from the bias makes that easy to do. ANd if you have lots of curves -- like a scalloped edge -- you pretty much have to use bias binding.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:57 PM

I find it much easier to do mitered corners with bias binding. I actually usually do rounded corners due to my intense hatred of mitering corners and I wouldn't even attempt that with SOG binding.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Auj

I have an idea that no one has yet mentioned. Make scrappy twine from the leftover strips. Cut them along the fold so they are just over an inch wide and go to it. Here's where I found this idea on Pinterest. http://mypoppet.com.au/makes/2014/04...ric-twine.html I have learned that strips can be too long - they get twisted around and I need to stop and untwist, but I am really enjoying this method. I will use it to tie up Christmas gifts. Simple white or one color paper will show off the fabric twine.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Auj View Post
I have an idea that no one has yet mentioned. Make scrappy twine from the leftover strips. Cut them along the fold so they are just over an inch wide and go to it. Here's where I found this idea on Pinterest. http://mypoppet.com.au/makes/2014/04...ric-twine.html I have learned that strips can be too long - they get twisted around and I need to stop and untwist, but I am really enjoying this method. I will use it to tie up Christmas gifts. Simple white or one color paper will show off the fabric twine.
That's a very interesting idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I use 2 1/2 inch binding so I just put in my bin with 2 1/2 inch strips scraps. If I were you I would save for scrap quilt binding.
I do the same with my 2 1/2" binding......doesn't take long to fill a bin!
Old 02-14-2016, 12:15 PM

I sew them together and use them to bind scrappy quilts
Old 02-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

If it is a good neutral like black or beige, I hang onto it and see if it might go for a little wall hanging.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:41 PM

If you have a lot of them, sew them together to make a jelly roll quilt. My math is terrible but 900-1000 inches might make a decent size.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:50 PM

I am saving my leftover binding, cutting it in half, and using it to crochet a rug.

This was my test rug to see if it would work.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg