Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of using a DRY IRON (no steam holes)

I ran across a source for a modern day DRY iron and wonder what you think of it as an alternative to our overly expensive, soon-to-be leaking irons for quilting? Dry irons have no steam holes, only a smooth sole plate. I prefer to starch or spray mist anyway. Just wondering if anyone uses anything like this?

Here's a link to see the modern dry iron:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/b...on/D/30100/P/1:100:1030:10340:101110/I/f06328?evar3=SEARCH

I don't use steam usually either. It is too easy to get blocks out of shape. I prefer dry and I use starch.

Izy
    I much prefer a dry iron, as I was constantly burning myself, such as when folding binding and running my finger just in front of it. I think it does distort blocks too. I went to our charity shop last week and picked up a travel iron, for 3.50E :shock: It has a steam facility but I won't be using it. It is the perfect size for pressing seams between stitching :D

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    The site didn't say if it was an automatic turn off iron- which I think does not get as hot as the old regular irons. Even my new dry iron does not seem to get as hot as I would like.
    I noticed that too, and wondered about the turn off. What brand of dry iron do you use? I didn't know that they were made until I saw the one I mentioned in the original post.

Thanks! :)

I just contacted the store's Live Help. The iron I posted a link to, has NO auto shut off, and it is 1,000 watts. I am tempted to get one, but would LOVE to know if there are any other brands of smooth soleplate irons available.

Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    would LOVE to know if there are any other brands of smooth soleplate irons available.
    Hi, this is one I purchased. I love it (no more stretching out of shape), I think I read the review for it on this board in January.
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...10000003+90043

It is a continental platinum dry iron w/no auto-shut-off (and it gets HOT). It was $27+shipping. Delivered in three days. Very happy with it.

Blog Entries
    I think this is the same iron that home depot sells online ($26), called the Continental Platinum Classic Dry Iron. I zoomed in on both website pictures and both have Continental written on them. After Googling a bit, I think this may be the only dry iron around these days. At least, I couldn't find any other models.

Wow, that is the same iron, and I am so happy to hear that you love yours, I think I will order one!

I have a steam iron, but almost never use the steam. I usually iron with a dry iron.

I don;t use steam either, just use it dry. have a spray bottle with water and a few drops of vinegar, if I have a stubbon wrinkle :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast