Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam or dry iron for pressing squares

Is there a difference or a 'rule' for using or not using steam for pressing squares. Also, how do I get rust out of my iron, I always forget to empty my iron when I am done. not smart to do that. Thanks you in advance.

Blog Entries
    Pressing with steam may distort your blocks. I use steam, but I do starch my fabrics before cutting, so it isn't an issue. :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I use steam 95% of the time, but when working with bias cut/blocks I try to remember "no steam". IMHO it is a personal choice.

Rusty iron ~ If it was me . . . replace it! I would be so afraid that when I am working on my light colored quilts, that is when it will spurt it's rust . . grrr

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I agree about replacing the iron. I never heard of rust in them! I also use a dry iron for pressing blocks.

Banned
    ditch the rusted iron I press with steam on everything except stuff I have starched.

I would replace your iron - I always press with steam

Thank you to everyone. I have a brand new iron still in the box, guess I will be getting it out. That makes the most sense, I just hate to part with this one. Oh well.
    Thanks again. Carol

I find I have less distortion with starch and a dry iron.

Probably not the iron that's rusted but calcium/water deposit build up. ALWAYS use distilled water in your iron. My favorite iron is one that I picked up at Dollar General for $9. It steams well or the steam can be turned off, it's lightwieght even when filled with water and it's teflon coated.

When I starch my fabric - I get a build up of what appears to be starch on the bottom of my iron - what causes that the happen? How do you remove it.

Blog Entries
    Spray with starch and WAIT a minute for it to be absorbed into the fabric. Don't know anything about iron buildup.

Most important part of putting an iron to blocks is PRESSING not IRONING.

You can fill you iron with vinegar. set to steam after soaking for overnight, let it heat up, steam a minute or two over an old towel
    I always steam, but press, do not iron!then dump out(carefully!) you might have to repeat several times--this always worked for me.
    I use vinegar straight to remove starch build-up. wipe on, let sit, then wipe off....if it is stubborn, heat the iron on 1 or 2.

I use spray starch and then I press,not iron, with steam. Do you have hard water? We have an artisian well which is hard water so I use distilled water in my iron and I never empty it when I'm done pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC
    When I starch my fabric - I get a build up of what appears to be starch on the bottom of my iron - what causes that the happen? How do you remove it.
    I found that the Magic Eraser works great!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watson's mom
    Is there a difference or a 'rule' for using or not using steam for pressing squares. Also, how do I get rust out of my iron, I always forget to empty my iron when I am done. not smart to do that. Thanks you in advance.
    I always use distilled water in my steam iron no matter if the instructions say you may use tap water. It avoids any kind of stain on your fabric. Never have to empty your iron if you leave it an upright position. Have used the same iron for years without any problems. Happy quilting!

Faultless makes some stuff that will clean the build up off the bottom of your iron. Basically the starch has broken down into sugars and carmelized for want of a better word. I keep an old nasty washcloth near my iron and use the cleaner every time I see buildup starting to happen. It prevents transfer onto your fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I found that the Magic Eraser works great!
    What kind of starch do you use? Liquid or can?

I have an iron I use for sewing only, it's never had water in it. I love spray starch & keep it handy. Once in a while if I'm sewing knit clothing I'll use a spray bottle of water for my steam. Keeps my iron nice & clean :)

Unfold a brown paper grocery bag and sprinkle salt on it. Iron over the salt and it will clean the plate good as new. Always works for me with no scratches on surface.

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I agree about replacing the iron. I never heard of rust in them! I also use a dry iron for pressing blocks.
    Argh Rust!!! I know it much too well...... rust happens when you have high content of iron in you water! That is why I replace my iron about every 1 to 2 years and would never buy one of those expensive Rowentas. After 6 months whenever I use my iron I test steam a square of paper towel to be sure the rust hasn't arrived. As soon as I see rust spots I replace my iron with an inexpensive one from Walmart.

I tie a piece of yarn on the handle of the iron to remind me to empty it when I use steam. Works for me.

There is a product called Hot Iron Cleaner that works well in cleaning the buildup off irons. I use it all the time. Using Wonder Under and starch will mess up the iron no matter how careful you are. I buy mine at WalMart on the aisle with the ironing boards. They have it hanging on a little hook.

Blog Entries
    I use steam but I don't push the iron around on the block. I try to come straight down on it so as not to distort. I also starch with Best Press.

I used to use only dry iron, steam is much better.

Run vinegar through it 3 or 4 times, and see it that helps. If it doesn't try CLR in it. Can you press a button to clean your iron? I did this and it worked fine. I

Phaedra

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast