Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Convince me I can applique.....

I had never quilted before, but wanted to start so I prewashed all of my stash and bought a bunch of stuff, printed out oodles of free block patterns from the net, and was afraid to start. I started and love the journey I'm on so far.

Then I found a pattern involving paper piece. I was nervous and delayed starting it because I didn't know how. YouTube to the rescue, I found out how to do it, and haven't looked back.

Now I'm working on an elaborate piece which I only have 12 days to finish (yes, it's for Christmas) and am now at a stopping point of sorts because it involves...you guessed it, applique. I've read instructions one after the other, even just read Better Homes & Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. This can't be so difficult, it just CAN'T. So why am I so apprehensive about starting?

Please reach deep down and give me some confidence, tell me I can do it. Because I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.....

Blog Entries
    You can definitely do it!!!

I, too, was afraid of applique. Haven't done alot as yet, but am not afraid to do it now. I just do little bits here and there with hand applique. Machine applique is no problem.

Blog Entries
    Applique is not hard or it would never be done by so many quilters. I think the prep work is the most important part of applique. The actual stitching is the easy part.

cjk
    I think you can too!

Blog Entries
    ROFL I have the same problem, I started an applique for Valentines LAST year, I used the fusible webbing to attach the one to the other, nothing left to do now other than the actuall applique stiching, and I'm afraid to start it because I don't want to mess it up, so there it sits on my shelf. looking at me everyday, maybe I'll try it in time for THIS Valentine's Day lol

I'm planning on using fusible web and machine stitching....i think i can i think i can i hope i don't screw it up.....

Take the time to do a little practice piece first. Take it slow, and you will be happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    I'm planning on using fusible web and machine stitching....i think i can i think i can i hope i don't screw it up.....
    Omg you CAN do it I have been quilting for six years I just started do appliqueing. I thought the same way you do. I am now able to do the basics of it. Self taught from youtube vid and sewing with nancy vid on Pbs

relax take it slow and you will be fine.

Banned
    I am the total opposite...I am afraid of the blocks...can't do them...in fact started a bargello yesterday that looks terrible and won't lie flat.
    I am an applique fanatic! I started my first ever quilt with major applique and have never looked back.
    You definitely can do it...it is really much easier than blocks!

My avatar shows one of my very first applique designs...it is a picture of my cousin

start out with some raw edge. Any applique can be raw edge and it looks so ruggedly pretty after its been washed a time or two.

I can identify with this, I was too afraid to machine applique. Don't really like needle turn, but I love blanket stitch. Last weekend, had 3 month old grandson for the whole weekend. Mum had been having a bad time, so decided to make a reindeer of Kadens hands and feet. Not wnough time to handsew, so had to just jump in on the machine.And it was fun!! Not only did I machine applique, but alo did some FMQ, which also scares me. Just jump on in and start. It'll be fine, and I'm sure you can do it...
    I'll try and add a pic of Kadens reindeer.

Kaden modeling as a reindeer
    Name:  Attachment-142885.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  66.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I do a lot of machine appliqué using the technique in Fat Quarter Fonts Quilt Book Atkinson Designs It's super easy and works for small pieces too. It sure saves time and the appliqué is very secure which is great for practical quilts.

Forgot to add, if you're doing hmachine allpique, don't forget to add the stabiliser under the fabric. Guess who did that a few times!!

Thankyou all for the helpful hints - tonight I'm going to tackle it and see what happens. Cute sweetikins Lindyline!!!

Blog Entries
    I love to use the blanket stitch to secure my ironed-on applique. The tricky part is going around curves for me but I set the machine to slow and keep on going. If you don't want the stitches to be noticed, use a thread color that blends and you will be just fine. Make sure you put a stabilizer behind your block so the stitches won't pull your pattern in and make it look distorted. Also, practice on a trial piece. You'll do fine!

Banned
    I use freezer paper as a stablizer..iron it right on the back and tear away when done.

Power Poster
    Play around on scrap material so if you make goof, you won't have to rip it out just keep practicing until you are sure. You know it won't take long once you have practiced a little.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    You can do it! If you tackled paper piecing you can do applique.

I adore appllique..While others lover it, for me needle turn is too slow and tedious..I took a class in machine applique and it's alot quicker and not hard at all....Hit the you tube videos for direction as well....You can do it girl!!!

San
    FL

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    I had never quilted before, but wanted to start so I prewashed all of my stash and bought a bunch of stuff, printed out oodles of free block patterns from the net, and was afraid to start. I started and love the journey I'm on so far.

Then I found a pattern involving paper piece. I was nervous and delayed starting it because I didn't know how. YouTube to the rescue, I found out how to do it, and haven't looked back.

Now I'm working on an elaborate piece which I only have 12 days to finish (yes, it's for Christmas) and am now at a stopping point of sorts because it involves...you guessed it, applique. I've read instructions one after the other, even just read Better Homes & Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. This can't be so difficult, it just CAN'T. So why am I so apprehensive about starting?

Please reach deep down and give me some confidence, tell me I can do it. Because I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.....
    Try it on a scrap fabric, if it doesn't turn out - no big deal. I was like that with making a Hobo purse for my granddaughter for Christmas last yer. It took me 2 months to get up the courage to try it (finally used the thought - I'll make it, if I don't like it, won't give it to her) Well, then it took me about 2 hours to make it - and I loved it, she loved it and everyone else at the family Christmas party ooohed and awwwed over it!
    Go ahead a try it. Like the other things you have tried, I think you will master this too! :)

If you can do paper piecing you can do applique. I think PP is harder.....

I was afraid of applique but now I do it all the time. I use a good stabilizer and most of what I do is machine stitching because I have so many different stitches available on my machine and it goes much faster so I have quicker gratification.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morelcabin
    I am the total opposite...I am afraid of the blocks...can't do them...in fact started a bargello yesterday that looks terrible and won't lie flat.
    I am an applique fanatic! I started my first ever quilt with major applique and have never looked back.
    You definitely can do it...it is really much easier than blocks!

My avatar shows one of my very first applique designs...it is a picture of my cousin
    I can sew, I can embroider and I love piece quilting and I love making samplers. I do not like Applique'. So I figure this, if it causes me any anxiety WHATSOEVER, it is not worth it. I have done it. I don't like it! No disrespect. I admire anyone that can do it and enjoys doing it and gets great satisfaction from appliqueing, but I don't enjoy it at all. I get anxious and sweat blood from appliqueing and I just decided not to do it. And as far as I am concerned, it doesn't bother me that I can't. Why? Because I can do something else. Edie (See what snow can do - makes a person all feisty - and there still is so much snow to get rid of and we have more coming tomorrow and Thursday. Mercy!

The thing about applique is that, once you get all prepped, blocks work up quite quickly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast