Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Convince me I can applique..... >

Convince me I can applique.....

Convince me I can applique.....

Old 12-13-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
I had never quilted before, but wanted to start so I prewashed all of my stash and bought a bunch of stuff, printed out oodles of free block patterns from the net, and was afraid to start. I started and love the journey I'm on so far.

Then I found a pattern involving paper piece. I was nervous and delayed starting it because I didn't know how. YouTube to the rescue, I found out how to do it, and haven't looked back.

Now I'm working on an elaborate piece which I only have 12 days to finish (yes, it's for Christmas) and am now at a stopping point of sorts because it involves...you guessed it, applique. I've read instructions one after the other, even just read Better Homes & Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. This can't be so difficult, it just CAN'T. So why am I so apprehensive about starting?

Please reach deep down and give me some confidence, tell me I can do it. Because I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.....
Try it on a scrap fabric, if it doesn't turn out - no big deal. I was like that with making a Hobo purse for my granddaughter for Christmas last yer. It took me 2 months to get up the courage to try it (finally used the thought - I'll make it, if I don't like it, won't give it to her) Well, then it took me about 2 hours to make it - and I loved it, she loved it and everyone else at the family Christmas party ooohed and awwwed over it!
Go ahead a try it. Like the other things you have tried, I think you will master this too! :)
Old 12-13-2010, 06:31 PM

If you can do paper piecing you can do applique. I think PP is harder.....
Old 12-14-2010, 02:57 AM

I was afraid of applique but now I do it all the time. I use a good stabilizer and most of what I do is machine stitching because I have so many different stitches available on my machine and it goes much faster so I have quicker gratification.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by morelcabin
I am the total opposite...I am afraid of the blocks...can't do them...in fact started a bargello yesterday that looks terrible and won't lie flat.
I am an applique fanatic! I started my first ever quilt with major applique and have never looked back.
You definitely can do it...it is really much easier than blocks!

My avatar shows one of my very first applique designs...it is a picture of my cousin
I can sew, I can embroider and I love piece quilting and I love making samplers. I do not like Applique'. So I figure this, if it causes me any anxiety WHATSOEVER, it is not worth it. I have done it. I don't like it! No disrespect. I admire anyone that can do it and enjoys doing it and gets great satisfaction from appliqueing, but I don't enjoy it at all. I get anxious and sweat blood from appliqueing and I just decided not to do it. And as far as I am concerned, it doesn't bother me that I can't. Why? Because I can do something else. Edie (See what snow can do - makes a person all feisty - and there still is so much snow to get rid of and we have more coming tomorrow and Thursday. Mercy!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:51 AM

The thing about applique is that, once you get all prepped, blocks work up quite quickly.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 AM

most definitely, you can do it - machine applique will be the fastest and is easy if you go slow - I think you will enjoy it once you try it.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:39 AM

When I first started back into quilting about 9 years ago I joined a Bee and we met each week taking turns at each others house. Since it was to hard to tote machines around and not to mention lack of space at our homes for machines we all did hand work, sewing on bindings, hand quilting, and most did needle turn appliqué. Thus needle turn appliqué became my passion! Love it because you can take it anywhere to work on. I know this doesn't help you with your situation right now. But when things settle down for you I would give hand appliqué a try. Try different methods and trust me you will find the method that works best for you! There are videos on the net that can walk you through it and tons of books. Try your local library! Good luck on your journey. Wish I was there to show you!!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:49 AM

You CAN do it!! Just jump in. Sounds like you do well reading instructions so go for it. Its sort of like free motion quilting--but once you get over the fear its great. Pick a method you enjoy and works for you--there are many ways to applique. I am a complete applique freak :)
Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by lindyline
Forgot to add, if you're doing hmachine allpique, don't forget to add the stabiliser under the fabric. Guess who did that a few times!!
What do you use for stabilizer?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:25 AM

For applique I use a product called Stable Magic (I order it from the Home Sew catalog) Trace the piece to the Stable Magic and cut out on the marked line. Using a washable glue stick I then put a small amount on the "front side of the cut out" and stick that to "the back side of the selected fabric". Cut fabric out adding a scant 1/4". Clip any inside curves almost to the Stable Magic. Now using glue stick, run a line of glue all around the piece. Press the seam allowance onto the glue using an "cuticle stick". On outside curves "think pie crust" Press fabric over with your fingers about every half inch, then go back and work the rest of the seam turn in place. This helps to eliminate small points forming on the edge. If a piece will lay UNDER another, you don't have to turn that edge. You just turn the edge on the piece that will be on top.