Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Convince me I can applique..... >

Convince me I can applique.....

Convince me I can applique.....

Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 AM

OOps hit send to quickly. When you are ready to place the pieces onto the background. You will use "Liquid Stitch" (you get it at WW or JoAnns, etc) Make just a tiny pin hole in the bottle top. You want just a little bit to come out. Starting at the piece that will be the bottom of the design and run a small bead around the back side of the piece, about 1/8" from the edge. Then put down on the background. Hold for a few seconds, then set it with an iron. Continue till all pieces are in place. You can then hand sew the pieces down or use a small zig zag stitch. Use matching threads or you can also use invisible theread. I'd match thread to piece if doing by hand, but use invisible when doing by machine.
This method is kind of awkward the first time you try it, but once you have the hang of it, it works like a charm. Oh yes, when done, soak the block in warm water, the Stable Magic will soften, but stays in place. Good luck!
Sometimes LQS has Stable Magic.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 AM

I learned just the way you are. It's just as easy as it looks.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Of course you can, of course you can, of course you can....
Using the sewing machine makes it sew easy.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:18 AM
mac

I, too, procrastinate when I am not sure how to do something. Actually, so much so, that my favorite saying is:

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done.

The 'last minute' has served me well over the years and it is amazing to find out that once you start, it wasn't as hard as you thought. In fact, I usually find that I am kicking myself for not starting sooner, as I sit there trying to finish the project bleary-eyed 3 a.m. in the morning. Then I remind myself the the tennis shoe saying by Nike:

Just do it!

Take that first step... it isn't as hard as it looks.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 AM

I am with you --applique scares me. Now the block exchange I am in is doing one all applique and Celtic. I am afraid to even start! LOL I have to do two blocks by May. I was ready to drop out as I have a hard time finding the time.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM

Aww, come on now. What's to be afraid of? So you ruin a piece of fabric, there's always more to be found. Just try it on a sample to make sure you get the size and shape correct. And if you don't, so what? Who's going to pound on the door and yell that they are the Quilt Police? We don't have any of them around. We want to encourage you to be what you can be.
Go on, TRY IT..NOW!!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by SueDor
Play around on scrap material so if you make goof, you won't have to rip it out just keep practicing until you are sure. You know it won't take long once you have practiced a little.
Good tip this, was going to suggest this myself
Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 PM

Applique is my absolute joy, and I waited forever to start to try it. Now I love it. Just jump in there with both feet and you will have a beautiful piece before you know it
Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM

My students start with the heart since it has easy curves, pIt tears away easily afterwards.oint and innie. After about six of them (which can be used in a comfort quilt) the first one and last one show so much progress. Then you are ready to move on. I use wall paper liner for the stabilizer with the satin stitch.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-143392.jpe  
Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
I'm planning on using fusible web and machine stitching....i think i can i think i can i hope i don't screw it up.....
use the lightest weight fusible you can get. if doing it by machine, there are really only two choices that I can think of--buttonhole stitch or satin stitch. with both of these, loosen your top tension some so they do not pucker. try on scrap of same fabric layers as your project. use an open-front embroidery foot is you have one so you can see where you are going on curves. Buttonhole is by far the easiest and fastest. good luck !