Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use to stiffen the bottom of a tote/purse?

I've used the boards they sell for mats for pictures. They have other good boards in the craft stores near the picture frames-can be cut to any size & you get a lot of mileage out of 1 board. Then cover with a sleeve, but you don't have to sew it closed - just make it longer & fold it in. Easier for washing!

I use the stiff craft interfacing, I think one brand is called Timtex. I've heard people recommend buying the stiff place mats at the dollar store but ours doesn't carry them.
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

I use 4" x 14" x 1/4" boards from Micheals. Usually on display with the balsa wood.
    Christine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I stock up on plastic placemats from the Clearance Aisle at WalMart. I recently purchased about 30 for $.15 each. I also use them for templates. Heavier than template plastic and a lot cheaper.
    This is my choice also. You forgot how easy they are to cut.

I've used plastic canvas and I've used the plastic folders and made a sleeve. All good suggestions.
    Be kinder than necessary,everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I use a heavy mat board. It comes in different weights, and I get it in the art/frame dept. at Hobby Lobby or JoAnns. I have also used plexiglas. I got it at Lowe's, and they cut it to size for me. I bought one pre cut size, and they allowed two free cuts from that. I make a fabric sleeve for both these products, and they hold up very well.

Does anyone have trouble with things going under the sleeve? I did.

Quote Originally Posted by ksdot417 View Post
    I make a fabric sleeve and insert a piece of foam core board and then sew it shut. It fits great in the corners and can be removed if you need to wash it. I've also used the plastic canvas.
    I have had wonderful luck with this method. Being able to remove it for washing is super. I can take the foam board out and just wash the sleeve. Had a problem with things sliding under it so use a spray glue when I put it in the bottom.
    I'm taking it all with me and if St Peter won't let me in, I'm commin' back.

You know those Bag-E-Bottoms that are super expensive, well I get the local glass shop to cut me plexiglass in the sizes I need for a fraction of the cost.

Blog Entries
    I use foam boards, I buy at the Dollar Store. You can cut several from one board. Plus, I save used rotary
    blades to cut them. I use 2 boards, taped together with duct tape for extra strong bottoms. I do cover
    them with a fabric sleeve. I've tried other suggestions and this is the cheapest way I have found.
    Hope this helps.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast