Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I learned on the Long Arm today. >

What I learned on the Long Arm today.

What I learned on the Long Arm today.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 PM

1. How to adjust the tension
2. To make sure the needle is up before trying to advance the quilt.
3. If there is something causing the machine to drag, stop immediately and find out what it is instead of continuing to TRY to stitch...DUH!
4. If you are tired...Quit for the day!

What I didn't learn....How to remove stitches. Its hard to do when the quilt is on the frame. I have a section that needs to be removed. Any advise will be appreciated.

All in all I'm pleased with the quilt, not bad for my first. Will post pics when finished tommorrow.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Google Goddess

Congratulations!

what kind of a longarm do you have???
Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Congratulations!

what kind of a longarm do you have???
A Tin Lizzie, I've only had it for a couple of weeks.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Wow you've got the big toys at your house!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:58 PM

You can move the quilt with the needle down. You just have to be very careful when doing so! I have had to do it a few times (I didn't plan ahead LOL). I always make sure the needle is all the way down and roll the take up roller very slowly.

Removing stitches is easier if you loosen the quilt on the rollers just enough to be able to get a little play in the fabric.

Both of these methods seem to work for me.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 PM

I advance all the time with the needle down when using pantos. Try skimming the quilt to remove stitches. You use a seam ripper that has a little blade and go between the backing and the batting. Sometimes I will roll so I have access to the backing and cut every third stitch. Relax and enjoy your new toy!:)
Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM
MTS
Banned

Someone JUST posted here today or yesterday (or was it a blog I read), with pictures, showing exactly how to remove quilting stitches on a longarm.

They folded back the top, with the quilt still on the frame, and used medical scissors - the kind used for removing stiches...duh! - and slowly cut a few stitches, releasing a small section. Then they moved on to the next few inches.

I've looked but can't locate it. Sorry. Maybe someone else will have better luck. But I'm sure it was in the last 24-36 hours.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Someone JUST posted here today or yesterday (or was it a blog I read), with pictures, showing exactly how to remove quilting stitches on a longarm.

They folded back the top, with the quilt still on the frame, and used medical scissors - the kind used for removing stiches...duh! - and slowly cut a few stitches, releasing a small section. Then they moved on to the next few inches.

I've looked but can't locate it. Sorry. Maybe someone else will have better luck. But I'm sure it was in the last 24-36 hours.
google on you tube, i watched it there but did not book mark the post.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 PM

When I remove stitches, I start by clipping the first stitch on the top if it's not at the end of the stitching. Then I use a pair of small, pointy tweezers get under the next stitch and pull it through. Then I use the tweezers to gently jerk the top thread and bring the bottom thread to the top. Clip the bottom thread. Continue to use one point of the tweezers to remove the stitches. After several stitches, pull the bottom thread to the top. Continue to remove the top thread and pull up the bottom thread until you have removed the portion of stitching you want to remove. DON'T just remove the top without bringing up the bottom thread unless you feel like crawling under your frame with a flashlight to find the bottom thread to cut it! I know I have too much stuff under the frame and I also have trouble getting up once I'm down! Hope this helps. I have a Voyager/ Hinty Stretch frame.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bamamama
2. To make sure the needle is up before trying to advance the quilt.
I advance all of the time with the needle down, but I am very careful not to pull on it and I float my tops and batting.