Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I learned on the Long Arm today. >

What I learned on the Long Arm today.

What I learned on the Long Arm today.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by quilticing
If you can roll up the quilt to the point where the back is exposed, I cut the bobbing thread every 2-3 inches. Get enough bobbin thread loose so it can be pulled with small needle nose pliers (in direction of stitching). The top tread is one long piece when you're done.
I do this as well ! Good luck!!

My lessons on my Voyager this week were foot height adjustment and timing - lol.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 AM

Everyone use "eyebrow shapers" they come 3 in a pack from Walmart cosmetics area..by the eyelash curlers etc..they are great stitch rippers and do not cut fabric..
Diana
Tranquil Quilting
http://tranqquilt.angelfire.com
Old 02-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by bamamama
Originally Posted by sylviak
When I remove stitches, I start by clipping the first stitch on the top if it's not at the end of the stitching. Then I use a pair of small, pointy tweezers get under the next stitch and pull it through. Then I use the tweezers to gently jerk the top thread and bring the bottom thread to the top. Clip the bottom thread. Continue to use one point of the tweezers to remove the stitches. After several stitches, pull the bottom thread to the top. Continue to remove the top thread and pull up the bottom thread until you have removed the portion of stitching you want to remove. DON'T just remove the top without bringing up the bottom thread unless you feel like crawling under your frame with a flashlight to find the bottom thread to cut it! I know I have too much stuff under the frame and I also have trouble getting up once I'm down! Hope this helps. I have a Voyager/ Hinty Stretch frame.
LOL... I found out tonight that I can no longer get up very easily any more either when I tried to look at the bottom of the quilt. Great advise. thanks.
I have been told by some quilters that they place a large mirror under the quilt, so that they don't have to get down to see the back of the quilt.
I tried the large mirror thing and couldn't get the lighting right. I use a large hand mirror. However, if you are just doing a part of a row, bringing the bottom thread up means you don't have to look at the bottom ...everything is done from the top. No taking the layers apart. Of course, if you're going to take it all out, the skinning thing might be a better choice.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by jajudd24
What size is it??? 18Inch arm? I am looking at one...need to go practice on in store...One is the Tin Lizzy...
I have the Tin Lizzie 18 LS. If you get one, definately get the Lizzie Stitch and make sure you can get it repaired or you can get help locally.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DianaSwi
Everyone use "eyebrow shapers" they come 3 in a pack from Walmart cosmetics area..by the eyelash curlers etc..they are great stitch rippers and do not cut fabric..
Diana
Tranquil Quilting
http://tranqquilt.angelfire.com
I tried these, but they dull so fast it wasn't worth it to me. I do use them when I am sewing with other people, because they tend to panic when I use a rotary cutter.