Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What, if anything, do you use to help with >

What, if anything, do you use to help with

What, if anything, do you use to help with

Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Choosing color hues, values and color matching?
I hear a lot of NEWer quilter's say that choosing the right colors to go together is hard, but knowing the HUE and VALUE is really confusing for those who perhaps have not had an art class!

Here are couple of products I have found helpful in helping others figure it all out. Especially when doing scrappy or rainbow effect projects.

The color evaluation set: Contains red and green viewing filters. Helps select the right colors for a project. Determine light or darkness value of materials. Red filter is used with warm colors. Green filter is used with cool colors.

The ruby beholder: Color Value Finding Tool. Also great for determining the SCALE by using the open window!

The color matching wheel/system: This color matching guide takes the guess work out of choosing colors. Unique viewing windows permit easy color & value identification. The set includes 36 pure artist's tube colors printed on individual cards with 144 tints & shades. This like all those paint sample cards you steal from Lowe's, all rolled into ONE handy take along set!
This came out at the end of last year and went into all of my friends quilting Christmas stockings! It is amazing how useful this is!

I hope this helps some of you by lessening the fears of getting out of your color box!

Color evaluation set!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228070[/ATTACH]

Ruby beholder!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228071[/ATTACH]

Color matching system!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228072[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-228064.jpe   attachment-228065.jpe   attachment-228066.jpe  
Old 07-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Power Poster

So - where can they be found and how much do they cost?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

Great products, thanks for sharing!! It's going to help a lot of us! :D
Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 PM

where do you get them ?cost
Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 PM

manners !!!! thanks for the info
Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 PM

Jaci my last tip I sent into Marcus Bros netted me a neat FQ packet of 5 beautiful fabrics was concerning this exact subject. I found one day while I was looking at some paint samples on the little cards that they are all color matched. They are also in a set of 4 colors that blend perfectly. If you want a purple quilt you simply go and pick out a card with purples on it. Take the card over to the fabric dept and choose a fabric to match each of the colors on the card. If you want more than 4 colors just get the next card in the line and it will match too. I have used this many times and the colors are already there on the card & best of all the cards are free!!
crafty_linda_b sittin' & quiltin' on the Cal-Ore border
Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bearisgray
So - where can they be found and how much do they cost?
I would think that any local quilt shop SHOULD carry them, as I get them from the same distributors they use.
I don't recall seeing them at Hobby Lobby!
Joann.coms did not have them, and I did not find them at Hancock's.com either.

The Ruby beholder has an MSRP is $8.99, The color evaluation set is $7.50( I use this the most), and the color matching system set is $15.99.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 PM

I find choosing a print, or a picture, that I like is a good starting point for choosing colors to go in a quilt. Looking at the fabrics in true daylight ( taking bolts to the front window ) can really surprise you, even with so-called "daylight" lightbulbs.
I also have the advantage of being able to take my glasses off, step back, and easily tell whether something jumps out at me and needs to be replaced.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
Jaci my last tip I sent into Marcus Bros netted me a neat FQ packet of 5 beautiful fabrics was concerning this exact subject. I found one day while I was looking at some paint samples on the little cards that they are all color matched. They are also in a set of 4 colors that blend perfectly. If you want a purple quilt you simply go and pick out a card with purples on it. Take the card over to the fabric dept and choose a fabric to match each of the colors on the card. If you want more than 4 colors just get the next card in the line and it will match too. I have used this many times and the colors are already there on the card & best of all the cards are free!!
crafty_linda_b sittin' & quiltin' on the Cal-Ore border
yep, that old trick has been around for a long time! These tools are for using when you are at the quilt shop and NO paint chips are around. Or you shopping your stash! Not everyone is able to "Snag" paint chips, so this gives them something they can use when they need it!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:51 PM

What helped me a lot was reading the book I mentioned in the other post. "Color Magic for Quilters" This book helped me understand what I should be looking for when picking fabric.

Disclaimer: I've had a couple art classes over the years - out of the fine arts, I disliked Art the least and took Art I for my fine art in High School and 2 Dimensional Design for my college fine art.