Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm?

What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm?

I've been quilting a large lap quilt (68x77) on my DSM lately and it's been difficult. Doable?--sure. Easy?--not really. I keep looking at the sit downs (mainly HQ Sweet Sixteen) thinking it would be really nice to have a larger area to quilt with. I don't have the room for a long arm. I keep thinking I should just suck it up and continue with my DSM but there are days I sure wish I had something bigger. I have a Bernina Aurora 450 so spent considerable money on that several years ago so having a hard time justifying another big purchase when I still could do it on my Bernina. I'm getting tired of my aching arms/shoulders/neck from shoving a large quilt through a small harp. I've watched the Craftsy video of "Quilting Big Quilts on Small Machines" and don't have any desire to do QAYG.

So my question: What were you doing when you finally said "enough is enough" and broke down and got yourself a nice present?
    Sandra B

Blog Entries
    I DSM and have handquilted. Not as much as you probably have. Have not really done anything larger than a lap. Maybe adjusting your chair would help. Most times it is totally up to the quilter and no one else.

I decided the minute I realized sit down machines existed. I knew I couldn't operate/afford/have room for a long arm, but my DSM was holding me back. My HQ Sweet Sixteen and I are very happy.

I found a frame on Craigslist that was affordable and able to use the shortarm machine. It is limited but it is nicer than wrecking a quilt on my DSM.
    I can do small pantos and meandering, stippling.
    It works for me.
    Kirsten
    "You have nothing to lose but wrinkles!"

Those are eye popping awesome!!!! Marsye

My decision was made for me when I won my Hinterberg frame and a cash prize (along with about a dozen other quilt-related prizes) through an AQS online quilt contest several years ago. I used the cash to help pay for the Voyager, and it was the best and most useful prize I ever won! I've not looked back

Quote Originally Posted by sandrab64 View Post
    I've been quilting a large lap quilt (68x77) on my DSM lately and it's been difficult. Doable?--sure. Easy?--not really. I keep looking at the sit downs (mainly HQ Sweet Sixteen) thinking it would be really nice to have a larger area to quilt with. I don't have the room for a long arm. I keep thinking I should just suck it up and continue with my DSM but there are days I sure wish I had something bigger. I have a Bernina Aurora 450 so spent considerable money on that several years ago so having a hard time justifying another big purchase when I still could do it on my Bernina. I'm getting tired of my aching arms/shoulders/neck from shoving a large quilt through a small harp. I've watched the Craftsy video of "Quilting Big Quilts on Small Machines" and don't have any desire to do QAYG.

So my question: What were you doing when you finally said "enough is enough" and broke down and got yourself a nice present?
    My husband decided for me.

I wanted to finish the whole quilt myself instead of sending it out to be quilted and I just couldn't do it on my DSM. Now, almost 10 years later, I keep telling myself that I need to learn on my DSM so that I can quilt small pieces. I just need to go for it.

I STILL quilt on my Bernina 1530. I have the correct support to my left and support behind the machine. I just don't see how anybody can quilt anything large such as a queen on one of those small tables. It you have the correct support, quilting is a breeze on a DSM.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I know the feeling Sandra I been trying to save up for an hq16 but always something comes up just spent $2000.00 on my car couple weeks ago which was a good thing my car is running like new, but now I need to start from scratch saving again. I really don't want to make payments

It always made more sense to me to guide the needle over the quilt, rather than guide the quilt under the needle. The path of least resistance. My chance came when I ran across a used longarm being sold at a LQS that was going out of business. DH convinced me to go for it. Encouragement at the right place and the right time. No regrets.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast