Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm? >

What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm?

What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm?

Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 PM

I think you justified the purchase of a bigger throated machine when you said, "'m getting tired of my aching arms/shoulders/neck from shoving a large quilt through a small harp."

If you can afford it, buy a machine that will bring you both comfort and joy while quilting.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:28 PM

Location: San Isidro de San Ramon, Costa Rica & Calgary, Canada

I was quilting one of six baby quilts when the "enough" hit. I bought a Husqvarna Platinum16 and I have just finished my first king quilt and doing the border took no time at all. I am thrilled!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:38 PM

I have tried both the Sweet 16 & a LA out. I still get shoulder & neck pains with the 16. However I love love live using the LA. We have a lady in our guild that rents out her LA for $65.00 a day (10-4). You purchase the whole day, so I go with a king or several smaller ones. I figured it would take me several several 100 quilts to equal up what I p
Rent the LA for. Plus I font have to worry @ the room fir it, repairs, ...... It's great!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:58 PM

The deciding point for me was a combination of (1) Sewing Machines Plus was having a MAJOR sale on their long-arm machines and (2) they let me do LAY-AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!! It took me nearly a year to get it out, and I haven't looked back since. It has paid for itself in the 5 years since it "came home", and I don't regret it a minute!!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:47 PM

I just joined today, and shared this in my intro, but thought I would share here too, since it is relevant and kind of a funny story. I bought a frame (rails) at a yard sale about 5 years ago. Paid next to nothing for it, and it was brand new-- out of the box, but not even put together, with all of the packaging still in tact. Well, it sat in my attic for 2 years, while my husband remained convinced that we didn't have room for it. Truth be told, at that time with three children in our home, we didn't, but I was convinced that it would work itself out. 3 years ago, it sort of did work itself out, and we moved to another property, where it sat and waited for our two oldest kids to move out on their own. (5 years total.) A few weeks ago, after our oldest moved out, our youngest moved into his older brother's room, which left the perfect sewing room vacant for me!

My husband pulled out the rack, and was still convinced that we wouldn't have room. He (somehow??) talked me into allowing him to give it to his buddy's wife, who also quilts. I reluctantly agreed, since the sewing room *is* rather small and I couldn't see how it would work.

Well, his buddy came and picked it up, spent 6 hours putting it together (turns out there was a piece missing, which he manufactured) and then his wife came home and informed him that she didn't actually want it! So he called my husband back and informed him that *I* would probably want it, which I do, and thankfully it came home tonight.

I have a Janome 1600P-QC to use with it. Still trying to decide whether to use a stitch regulator with it or not.