Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm? >

What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm?

What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
I decided to purchase my Sweet 16 sitdown after finishing a large quilt and had aching shoulders for 2 weeks. I went to a demo and had an "aha! moment". Life is too short not to be able to use my arms for 2 weeks after each quilting session. My machine takes up no more room than a card table, altho I did add the extension table. I can quilt for hours on end and have no shoulder or neck pain. My quilting still looks like a kindergartner did it but I can say I did it myself. No buyers remorse or guilt over spending the money on myself ( I just lost my BFF to ovarian cancer and that drove home the point to enjoy life now.)

The 16 is so compact and easy to run. I had a frame and it was so confusing to load. I ended up sandwiching my quilts and using the frame to keep it taut which was better but still hard on the back and shoulders. Then someone said " life too short so I went for it. the sweet 16 sitdown is at least more affordable. LOVE IT,
Old 03-27-2014, 10:03 PM

Loved the person who said it was the basting! Before I got my used LA, I was always torn between the aches and pains on my shoulders and neck of shoving a quilt through my DSM and the pain of crawling around on the floor trying to baste cause my knees are toast. I rented time at LQS on LA and just loved it! Not just the finishing of a quilt, but the whole process of quilting. I find it really satisfies my creativity urge. Thanks to my Mom,(who taught me to sew), leaving an inheritance, I could afford a used LA. My husband suggested I spend the money on something my Mom would get a kick out of, and it took me all of 10 seconds to say "a long arm!" That was almost a year ago and I don't regret it at all. And while I do have to take a break every 2 hours or so do to my knees, it's still much easier.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:47 AM

I bought mine when I realized, I wanted to make more quilts than what time I have left, and hand quilting was not going to let me do them.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 AM

When they came out with the Tru-Stitch for the Sweet Sixteen. Fits into my space nicely and the space is huge.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:57 AM

I agree it is totally possible to quilt big quilts on a DSM, but it took all the fun out of the job! I had made a baby quilt for a grand nephew that just called out for long, diagonal lines of quilting. A 54" long quilt, diagonally, is 70+ inches I was struggling to get under the throat of my Bernina 440, and it wasn't fun! I saw an ad for a Sweet 16, and started drooling. I ended up using a small inheritance from my mother to buy it (having never even tried it), and I think she would have approved! That was 4 years ago, and I am still love my machine. I tried out long-arms at the Nolting factory (lovely, helpful people!), but after a couple of hours I discovered I really prefer the feeling of fabric under my hands rather than handles.

Pam
Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 AM

$$$ was my final motivation. I quilted small things myself, but sent out large items to a local longarmer. That was okay for upscale items, but too expensive for charity quilts. I bought a midarm, but felt so restricted. I finally got a Artistic 18 two years ago. I had to do some juggling to make it fit, but it was the right decision for me. I still send my huge heirloom quality to my LAer, but do the rest myself in very simple edge to edge. My goal is to get more adventurous so I can expand my skills. I have contemplated a computer system, but can't justify the cost yet.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 AM

My arms and shoulders could no longer take the strain of quilting on the DSM quilting , also wanted to make larger quilts. Have never regretted the switch.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:10 AM

I struggled with quilting and decided to send them out...well....that got expensive... one big expense and now it is all done by ME..not as good as the pros but I am happy with my sweet 16 sit down. I bought the 2 side tables so it measures 72" but could have done with out and used regular tables. Seller adjusted the height when he installed it for me. Bought at LB quilt show several years ago.

Oh yeah, got the true stitch with it too. Love it.
Also I understand there is a Bailey that is like the sweet 16 sit down, but less expensive.

Last edited by linhawk; 03-28-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:26 AM

I feel your pain as I am in the same boat. I just don't have the room for a LA. My solution is going to be to get certified on a LA machine next fall and then I will rent the use of a LA machine from our local quilt shop. There are plenty of wonderful LAers in our area but I really like doing the whole quilt myself.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:48 AM

I use a machine with a regular harp on a 10' frame and it works well.