Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm? >

What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm?

What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:13 AM

After having knee surgery it became too painful to sit on the floor to pin my quilt layers together. I now have a longarm. Two years later, all I can to is a meandering stitch, but that's fine for now. I don't do show quilts at all. Most of my quilts are baby quilts for family or charity quilts for Project Linus.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:23 PM

I haven't broken down yet, not even enough to use my DSM for anything larger than a table runner. It will take me along time to pay the wonderful person who long arms my quilts enough to pay for a quilting machine. I taught economics and spent a good bit of time teaching my students what "opportunity cost" means. What could I be doing with my time, with the resources going in to the project, etc., if I weren't quilting on my DSM or investing in a quilting machine. If you enjoy doing it, you figure that in, too, but I wouldn't and for me, that makes all the difference. froggyintexas
Old 03-28-2014, 04:45 PM

Torn between Jennie & Me's post #7 and Lori S #12... I could pay a professional to FMQ the many projects I hope to accomplish but there is something to be said about completing your own quilt from start to finish.... so I will eventually purchase a LA machine when I get my room addition completed to accommodate a 12 foot frame and a cutting table. In the meantime, I am fortunate to rent a LA by the hour to FMQ my own projects.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:10 AM

I quilt smaller things on my DSM and I do QAYG on larger projects. I love the fact that I can quilt each block any way I want and then when it's all together I am done except for the binding! I would love to have a long arm or a sit down machine but just spent $3K on a sewing machine so can't afford or justify anything else. I have a 10 inch throat so that makes it better. I'm doing a 45 x 45 wall hanging right now and it's working great. It's a matter of preference and money!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:56 AM

I have hand quilted for about 20 years. While my children were in sports, band ect. I would drag a queen size sheet hobo style along with my quilting supplies, quilt and folding chair to all the events. I used a oval hoop and would quilt away. I the off seasons I have an antique 10ft quilting frame set up over my couch and I would sit on my coffee table and quilt away. A few months ago I had a quilt on the frame for 3 1/2 months. My back hurt, my legs hurt and my fingers just said NO MORE. Either I give up sewing and quilting or I do something about it. So I found a used long arm mega quilter with a grace frame and a week latter I was the proud owner of a quilting machine. Do I love it? I have finished my first quilt and have loads of problems but with the help of others, I am learning. But I do love it. I live in the country and nothing is close to me so it gives me something to do. Would I do it again? Yes I would because I love making things for others. Is it cost effective? No, unless you are going to make and sell but if you can find some one to finish a quilt for you that would probably be the way to go if you don't make many quilts.

My thoughts.
cin72
Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 PM

I had a table frame at one time and had so much trouble getting all three pieces aligned on the rollers correctly. I'd rather baste any day.

I cannot stand for any length of time so that ruled out a long arm

Got a sweet 16 a couple of years ago and just loved it. We were meant to be together.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 AM

I decided to try something other than my DSM after a big baby quilt, 54*65. I first thought about a long arm, but after trying some out for about an hour (thanks to the lovely folks at Nolting) I found out I didn't like it! I really enjoy feeling fabric in my hands, so I bought the Sweet 16. I love it!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:25 PM

In the two and one-half years I have been quilting, I've paid $1500 to my long-arm quilter. And I got tired of having to explain that I didn't do the actual "quilting" myself. (Why do you call yourself a "quilter" then, said one woman.) I've done several on my wonderful Janome 6600, but it isn't fun. I'm retiring in five months and don't want to spend the money or floor space on a long arm but want to finish the quilts myself, so I bought a Baby Lock Tiara (same machine as the Sweet Sixteen) last week. I can't wait to set her up and get quilting. It's my retirement gift to myself after working full time for almost 50 years.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 PM

I got a midarm and traded up to a longarm for two reasons. One I got tired of stitch in ditch and was physically killing my neck, hands and arms from trying to pull a quilt through the DSM. I have arthritis and would suffer for days after a large quilting project. Second I hate basting. It is wonderful to load and quilt. I know some people get frustrated loading, but I don't mind it at all.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 PM

I have the sweet sixteen sit down., In the last 3 years I have done at least 50 quilts and have had no problems. It is very relaxing and a joy to work on