Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What size should a baby quilt be?

Blog Entries
    That quilt is awfully small. Crib size batting is 45" x 60".

I have a different Herd of Turtles pattern that is larger. PM me if you are interested. I don't see where I have the option to add a picture to this post.

O.K. I found the Modify post tab.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by donnajean; 08-31-2012 at 07:00 AM.

That's a beautiful pattern! The small size would be perfect for a car seat if you added ties to each side about 10" down, but I think that additional borders wouldn't affect the original design negatively. You could make a narrow "stop" border in a contrasting color and then add a wider border from a coordinating batik.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I think that I would cut the background larger, say about 40 x 55, and add more turtles. Then add the border and it should come out more closely to a crib size.

If you add a narrow 1" border and then maybe 3" to match the one that is already there you would have a quilt that measures 32 x 44 inches. That is a good size for a baby quilt and wouldn't involve Kinkos, Staples, or Office Max. I'm sure your friend will love the quilt whatever you decide.
    Sue

Thank you Donna Jean. That pattern is pretty too! I think I may try adding borders to the one I have - most folks seem to think it would not negatively affect the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean View Post
    I have a different Herd of Turtles pattern that is larger. PM me if you are interested. I don't see where I have the option to add a picture to this post.

O.K. I found the Modify post tab.
    Shannon

I did a Sunbonnet Sue baby quilt -- the pattern finished size was 28" X 36". I decided that was too small. I took the pattern pieces to the copy machine, enlarged the pieces by 50% and then doubled the blocks. I came out with a 45 X 60 Crib size quilt. And, this was the first quilt I had ever made. It turned out great! Your pattern is adorable. Good luck with it. If you want to enlarge the pattern pieces, just make sure each piece is enlarged by the same percentages and you shouldn't have any problems!

Jeanette Frantz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2