Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of iron so you use? >

What type of iron so you use?

What type of iron so you use?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by klc
I have a Black & Decker. It's eons old and works great. It was my mom's so I don't know how much it cost or exactly how old it is. It is at least 10 years old. I would buy another one when this one dies.
I usually buy the cheapest...but I have found Black & Decker are the heaviest and last the longest. Right now I have a renovated as a back up, and a digital as a primary. I have a love/hate relationship with the automatic turn off...I love that it will turn it's self off if I forget, I hate that it turns it's self off all the time while I am sewing, meaning I have to keep resetting it to cotton...well in a perfect world the iron would know what I wanted automatically and obey with out question. Not a perfect world however so I will just stick with Black&Decker for now.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The Rowentas are made in China now. The older ones Were made in Germany.
That explains it! My first Rowenta lasted about 8 years. I replaced it with a more expensive Rowenta and after about 7 months it began leaking. My warrenty was only good for 6 months because I had purchased a professional model, not a home model!!!! I am continuing to use it, but the leaking is such a pain. If I forget and leave it on the rack in a horizontal position, all the water leaks out! Don't buy a Rowenta.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:38 AM

I have a GE light and easy iron.I got at yard sale for $4.00 hardly used. Back in 1988,I don't use the steam, I use a spray bottle. Thank you Rose Marie Smith Newcastle, Ca
Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I have a high priced SHARK that was guarenteed not to leak.. it has leaked since day 1.. I have contacted SHARK and basically got the reply of ..... our irons do not leak, prehaps u have damaged it".... I do not recommend or enjoy the iron or their attitude. I will not be purchasing another of their product.
I had one of theirs and it leaked also.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 AM

I had two Sunbeam's over the years and they were great, they just wore out. I now have a Black & Decker which was very inexpensive. Have had it about three years and no problem, works great.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:06 AM

I've had my Oliso for about 5 years without any problems whatsoever only thing I don't like about these expensive irons is the auto shut off was not made for quilters. My everything iron is one of those old heavy Black and Decker's (The Classic) that they've had around forever and nothing happens to them no matter how many times they fall.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM

I have had 2 rowenta irons and will never have another one. The first one would steam so much it would run out of water in about 5 minutes.This started after about 3 months. I took it back to the store and they gave me a new one. After about 8 months the new one leaks. My sister has the same problem and she has a higher priced model than I do.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:43 AM

I too have a Rowenta that was literally vomitting water. Coming from the day that all you ever used in your iron no matter was distilled water, of course that's what I was using. So after much discussion in my sewing group I decided to take their advice and use tap water. Not being able to take that leap I use the filtered water from the fridge! Works like a charm!! No water leaks. And no hunting down distilled water...hehe. If you bought it from some place like Costco, Walmart, or Bed Bath & Beyond they will take it back if it needs to be returned.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

I don't use distilled water in my Rowenta and it works great! It is about 3 years old, and I couldn't afford one now.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM

I use a $15 mini iron and a $10 regular size iron, both from Walmart that I have been using for years. No problems and no leakage from either of them. Sometimes old tried and true, is tried and true, for a reason. IMHO