Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to use.... >

What to use....

What to use....

Old 04-09-2016, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I make a lot of table runners. I want them flat like a table cloth. I use fusible deco bond for the lining. They look crisp and professional even after washing. When I make tablerunners for my guild sale tables my runners always sell first. I think it's because of the way they lay flat. Honestly many of the guild members try to use left over whatever for batting and backings and the results aren't always the best looking.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:45 AM

Pellon fleece interfacing. It comes both fusible and non. I prefer the non. It is perfect for what I want. Some body and a very small amount of loft, no shrinkage at all, kind of grabby so it doesn't need much pinning, 45" wide so the Spicy Spiral fits with no piecing, etc. It's in the interfacing section of the fabric stores.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:59 PM

I used W & N in all my table toppers until someone on this board suggested Thermolam. I love it! It doesn't pucker like W & N does. I buy it by the bolt when Joann's has it on sale or I have a 50% off coupon.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:49 PM

I use Hobbs 80/20 scraps--but then I tend to do heavy quilting so it's not too poufy!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I don't use w&n as when it is washed it will pucker...I don't want that look on table runners, so I use thermalon, it's a thin, poly used in quilted garments. Enough loft to show quilting, but stable enough so nothing tips over......
What is thermalon? I never heard of it.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:58 AM

Good question. I have never made a table runner, but I have thought a lot about doing one. I had decided that I wanted it to be flat and stiff so you could put small nick-nacks or even drinking glasses with a small footed stem on it and they wouldn't fall over as they might with puffier batting. Does this make sense to anyone?
Old 04-10-2016, 10:53 AM

Well I'm a little different than everyone else, lol. I buy and recycle quilted mattress covers from the thrift store. After washing them in bleach and hot water, I know they are safe and clean. I prefer the cotton ones as they lay flatter, but will use the others when they are the only available; I just quilt them closer.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

I have found, after years of making table runners, placemats, table centerpieces, etc., etc., that W&N has given me the best results, it is flat, but gives some body to the items as well. However, when making wall hangings, I like to use fusible fleece as it gives more body to the wall hanging so that it hangs better. I also use SID for quilting, as I have a fear of FMQ, I don't want it to not look good. I know I should practice, but just call me chicken.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I made some years ago with warm & natural batting, gifted them to my mom & aunt, they liked the runners, ( looks) but wouldn't use them because items fell over easily. They requested Flat ones. I started using pelted, or just a layer of prewashed flannel. They like them much better flat. So, guess it depends on intended use. If you plan to use them just to lay on a table with nothing on it puffy is ok-- but if you want them on a table glasses, vases, other items will be placed on them flat is a better choice.
Although I often use warm and natural as ckcowl does, I have also used 80/20 as Tartan does (all leftover from larger projects) with good results, I have also bought Hobbs Thermore specifically for runners and place mats - it is a thin 100% polyester, very affordable, won't shrink and quilts wonderfully. Connecting Threads is one source, it is occasionally on sale and a queen size makes A LOT of smaller projects.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Well I'm a little different than everyone else, lol. I buy and recycle quilted mattress covers from the thrift store. After washing them in bleach and hot water, I know they are safe and clean. I prefer the cotton ones as they lay flatter, but will use the others when they are the only available; I just quilt them closer.
Great idea! I like upcycling 100% cotton tablecloths by making kitchen towels from the good parts, the adding my own applique. Waste not - want not; it's what I learned growing up.