Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved?

Here on this board we can all find safe, reliable advice/instructions for a project we're working on but somewhere along the way we pick up terrible pointers that cause us more pain and work.

The main point that someone once gave me was that cotton stretches so if your points don't line up, just stretch it to fit. That might be true if it's just a bit too small but she demonstrated on something that had larger missed margins and the finished product was so out of shape, I wince when I look back on the project. Back then, though, I was certainly none the wiser.

What was the worst advice you ever got about quilting?

Blog Entries
    Mine was from a quiltstore owner who disagreed with my fabric choice. She told me it was going to be ugly and I allowed her to pick a different fabric. I ended up giving the top away because it was not what I had in mind at all. It taught me to follow my instinct even when "the experts" disagree. Colors and patterns are very personal in today's quilting and we do not always need to follow cookie-cutter samples.

Not to waste my money by buying more material than I need for the intended project. A) I almost never actually make what I bought the material for in the first place and B) it turns out I love to make scrappy quilts! What would I do without all those left over pieces!

Blog Entries
    This advise I guess I gave to myself - using a dark solid backing (cranberry color) for a scrappy pinwheel quilt. I have the quilt on my bed and the backing pills up and catches the "fuzzies" from the blanket beneath. BUT I like my quilt and only I see the underside - when making the bed!

1. Keep the quilt, chuck the blanket!
    2. Keep doing what you have been doing, nobody will ever know anyway! And, it does force you to make the bed.
    3. Put the blanket on somebody else's bed.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Mine was from a quiltstore owner who disagreed with my fabric choice. She told me it was going to be ugly and I allowed her to pick a different fabric. I ended up giving the top away because it was not what I had in mind at all. It taught me to follow my instinct even when "the experts" disagree. Colors and patterns are very personal in today's quilting and we do not always need to follow cookie-cutter samples.
    I agree with this one. I always go with my gut.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I agree with this one. I always go with my gut.
    me too,...if it's my money and I can decide on what I like, then that's what I'll get.

One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.
    OH Yeh, been there done that.:)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    you mean keep the border fabric ON TOP of the quilt when sewing it on?

Page 1 of 18 1 2 11 ... LastLast